Skip to main content

I can't find the front of my MXL 990 they say something about the polarity but i can see anything about that on the mic... I also wanted to know is their anywhere I can get a windshield for that mic please?

Thanks In Advance!

:D

Topic Tags

Comments

jonnyc Thu, 09/01/2005 - 22:34

I can't imagine how a person couldn't find the front of mic, I did have a friend the used his akg c3000 as an end address because he's a dumbass and didn't know the difference so I guess this could be a similar case. I second the selling off the gear idea and you can get a pop filter at pretty much any store that has mics.

anonymous Fri, 09/02/2005 - 06:27

Too funny!! The front is the side that has the MXL logo on it. If your's doesn't have a logo, look through the screen and when you see something inside that looks like a shinny penny, that's the front. Really, you don't need the front with that mic. It's so sensitive, you can hear what a fly on the wall is thinking.

I got one because it was too cheap not to try, and I quickly learned "you get what you pay for". Even at only $60, I feel I got ripped off. Though it might work nicely as a decorative doorstop.

anonymous Fri, 09/02/2005 - 06:55

thanks for the help AcousTronic, in the manual it shows a diagram of polarity and thats the front of the mic but on ur mic it doesn't look any different if the front was where the logo was why don't it jst say that instead of makin it hard for people that have just started doing it. I already have a pop filter, i don't want that, i wanted to know if know if they make windshields that fit for an mxl 990?

Thanks In Advance!

anonymous Fri, 09/02/2005 - 09:06

samkhadra wrote: I already have a pop filter, i don't want that, i wanted to know if know if they make windshields that fit for an mxl 990?

Not sure I understand the question, or even how pop filter came into the discussion, but any pop filter will do the trick. MXL doesn't make any that I know of. You will definately need one with that mic. I tried tracking some vocals, and when I stood back 6 feet, it still sounded like I was right on top of it. It picks up everything!! You could put on a set of headphones, jack up the input, and listen in on neighbors a mile away... not that I would do something like that.... :lol:

pr0gr4m Fri, 09/02/2005 - 13:26

jonnyc wrote: pop filters and "windscreens" or "windshields" are the same thing they stop moisture and plosives from coming thru.

WRONG! WRONG! WRONG...well wrongish.

A pop filter is generally a mesh covered thing that is placed between a microphone and a performer used to stop plosives and capture the nasty bits coming from singers mouths.

A windscreen is generally a foam contraption that covers the entire microphone's grill to help eliminate wind noise. Sometimes these are furry.

Although a windscreen can be used as a pop filter I wouldn't recommend it.

Go to sweetwater.com and search for Pop filter and windscreen.

anonymous Sat, 09/03/2005 - 03:45

yea thanks pr0gr4m i was contemplatin whether or not i should get one or not but i wern't sure and with a price like that i dnt think i'm gonna get one either, i thought it would be like 50p/50cents for something like that. Thanks for the link roguescout!

And to those who thought that i shouldn't do this and sell my equipment it turned out that it should be you who should sell their equipment not knowing what the difference is between a pop filter and a windshield/windscreen!!!

:lol:

Davedog Sat, 09/03/2005 - 07:48

Its too bad that they dont make a battery-pack for that mic....great for recording ambient outdoor noises like traffic and birdcalls.

And the reason the instructions dont tell you where the front is, is because those few extra words would drive the price up by $90 or so...

BTW....some of us DO know the difference between a windshield and the front of a mic.

ALSO....Dont bother with the 'polarity'....with this mic its the most omni cardioid available.

jonnyc Sat, 09/03/2005 - 13:13

Yea you're right I should sell my equipment because I got my pieces of foam confused you're absolutely right. Eventhough a windshield is rarely to ever used in a studio at least in mine. And why the f do you want a windscreen for an mxl990? You're telling me I don't know what I'm talking about yet you can't figure out what part of your mic to sing into. Good luck in all your future endeavors and I can't wait to hear you're recordings.

KurtFoster Sat, 09/03/2005 - 16:00

When my Dad had a stroke, he lost his ability to speak ... He thought he was talking but all that came out was "Gibit gibbit gibbit" ... very sad to see. However, when he got angry he would begin cussing up a storm ... clear as you please ... all of the words ... G..d.... it! F.... Sh*t .... son of a b.... everything!

I asked the Doctor "what was with that" and he explained to me that swearing comes from a different part of the brain than the rest of our language skills ... a more base part where instinct resides .. a part of the brain where involuntary functions arise ...

What I am getting at is it doesn't take any real brain power to swear at people and I wish you would watch the foul language when you post on RO JohnnyC ... Kids read this stuff too ... and we don't want their parents blocking RO on the kids computer just because someone used bad language ...

Xavier,
Please edit the previous post to remove the offensive language ... Thanks.

jonnyc Mon, 09/05/2005 - 20:58

Sorry Kurt I grew up in social situations where cursing was very frequent and often used to emphasize a point. I am a hot head, I have a very bad and quick temper. So the combination of the two often leads to much more foul language than normal, however I do try my best not to curse and I'm honestly very used to the autoeditor on tweakheadz. I won't utter another curse word, but if you're going to be a watchdog then do some better patroling because i'm very far from the only person that curses on here. And i edited my own post.

jonnyc Mon, 09/05/2005 - 21:00

Sorry Kurt I grew up in social situations where cursing was very frequent and often used to emphasize a point. I am a hot head, I have a very bad and quick temper. So the combination of the two often leads to much more foul language than normal, however I do try my best not to curse and I'm honestly very used to the autoeditor on tweakheadz. I won't utter another curse word, but if you're going to be a watchdog then do some better patroling because i'm very far from the only person that curses on here, in fact i did a search on the "f" word and its in over 200 threads. And i edited my own post.

anonymous Thu, 09/08/2005 - 05:54

samkhadra wrote: whats a better mic for around that price range?

The AT 2020 has been getting decent reviews for a $100 mic.

Also, there are "industry" guys that swear they could make a record with a couple SM57's and an SM58.

Personally, I believe if you want to make a professional sounding recording, you need to anty up for professional quality equipment.

anonymous Sun, 09/11/2005 - 10:02

By the way, since no one's actually answered the original question...

...the front of that mic is where the large MXL logo lines up with the smaller MXL 990 logo beneath it.

just

in case

you

were wondering, still.

Fanks :D The only reason why I couldn't tell where the front was, was because I hadn't got my mixer yet to try out the mic, because I had to order it in, I still haven't got the mixer yet but wen i do i'll notify you! Thanks!

anonymous Thu, 09/15/2005 - 17:06

Also, there are "industry" guys that swear they could make a record with a couple SM57's and an SM58.

If I'm not mistaken, I heard somewhere that U2 recorded at least a *part* of "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" with SM57s.

Personally, I believe if you want to make a professional sounding recording, you need to anty up for professional quality equipment.

Are you saying that an SM57 isn't good enough for studio apps? I'd like to know.

Brad Venable
Voice For Hire, LLC