Skip to main content

Hello all 8-)
On the verge of buying the afore mentioned TL Audio 5052. Anybody got one or had the chance to use/compare one? Would love to know how ya'll rate it.
Little bit of backround. . I'm working in a digital based studio (Mackie d8b, Mac G5 running Pro logic 6, MOTU 828) trying to record old style reggae and make it sound as "Studio one" as possible. So i wanna get a stereo valve pre with all the bells and whistle's on without parting with my left testicle to get it!
Anything out there with the same features for in and around the same money? (STG£900.00)
By the way does anybody know what kind of mic's/console's/outboard would have been used at that time in "Studio one" or somewhere where i might find out?
Thanks all and tóg go bog é
Rory

Comments

moonbaby Thu, 04/14/2005 - 07:43

TLA has had a "checkered" past with a lot of their products. Build quality is not the greatest, and somewhere along the line, they cut corners on the IC's they used, which were later discontinued with no substitute when they crapped out. This left owners holding a "dead elephant" they couldn't get working again. My partner compared TLA to my MGB....a Brit product that was always broken!!
Give the Drawmer products a better look...I'll bet that you can get a TubeStation which IS a professionally-built product for the same or even less $$$...Check 'em out!

moonbaby Sat, 04/16/2005 - 22:38

The MGB was a lot of fun to drive, I learned to deal with the dual
side-draft carbs myself. But the electrical components by Lucas ("Lucas-Prince of Darkness") were soooo frustrating to deal with. I ended up selling the B to a navy jet pilot. I will be replacing it with a Miata. I would like to get a Z3, but,alas, they are no more and the Z4 is too much power and too much money. Anyway, the TLA mic pre we had was constantly breaking down and smoking power supply parts. I just think that with the selection available out there these days, you should be careful about what you choose. The TLA stuff looks good, but the Drawmwers offer a much better track record. PEACE.

x

User login