Skip to main content

I have wanted to get more work as now I have the time. I am a voice over guy (artist) -- I image radio stations, commercial production for local and national business, and so on...

Question? Are voice123 and a hand full of other websites just like it, worth paying close to 200.00 for their services to find you voice work?

I have heard from friends in other industries, that a web site offering jobs should be more than happy to have you post your work for free. The reason is as follows: The people who need your services pay the website and or company to find people like you or me seeking jobs.
In conclusion, should the job seekers have to pay to get work? Or, is this just another way for companies like voice123 and voice.com to get your money?

Thanks for your help,

Stephen Patrick

P.S.
If there are solid companies to help you find voice work out there, could you please point a finger in that direction?

Thanks...

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Wed, 03/14/2007 - 13:30

Some random thoughts. I am not a VO talent, but I hire them on a regular basis for online learning and other multimedia applications (ie, not TV or radio).

We don't hire from Voice123 or other online places. There are a few reasons for this.

One, is that I want people coming to our studio, especially people that we haven't used before. In our experience, it just works out better. We will have some people do pickups from home studios, but almost never whole scripts.

We typically work with a small group of people for most of our projects. We have a decent mix of male and female, old and young who we know can read our scripts and have a decent vibe working with us.

In our case, having a nice voice isn't the deciding factor. How well a talent can read and the type of scripts are big factors.

Someone who works well for narration often doesn't work well for voice acting (and vice-versa). There are exceptions, but I would say that only half of our VO talent shine at both.

We won't hire unknowns for big projects. I am pretty good at estimating time needed for sessions. If I book someone for four hours, then I need to know that they can do the material in about four hours, or my day really gets hosed (especially with back-to-back sessions).

New people are either referrals from other companies or other VO talent. We will sometimes vet new people on smaller projects. We may hire them for a voice acting job, and then audition them with a test narration when we are done.

If we need a particular voice (eg, authentic foreign accent), then we go through a local casting company.

Gotta run. May fill this out more a bit later.