Skip to main content

What is it?

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Sun, 02/20/2005 - 07:47

I took a look at it. It looks pretty sweet. So i saw that it has 1/4 inch inputs. But because im a beginner i just wanna ask some dumb questions before I drop $100. So i can just go from my main out from my audio board to one of those 1/4 inches? And it also has RCA inputs can i do the same with RCA? Have you had any experience with it? Is it easy to install? or are the drivers a bitch. Would be an okay audio card to record a rock band. Hahaha sorry about these question but i am inexperienced in this department. Thanks for your help.

Best Regards.

AudioGaff Sun, 02/20/2005 - 09:42

The E-MU 0404 has two 1/4" line level analog inputs and outputs. If using RCA, you need adapter. The RCA connectors on the pigtail of the 0404 are for S/PDIF digital input and output.

Install of the PCI card and drivers depends more on the PC system or user and how well they follow instructions. One thing to note is that you need to disable and remove any other soundcard firtst before installing the E-MU PCI card. It is worthy of recording any thing that one desires to record.

AudioGaff Sun, 02/20/2005 - 21:28

Track record? The E-MU 0404 has won more awards in the last year since it was released than any and all of the M-Audio 2-channel soundcards combined. With over 30K units sold so far, it is safe to say it has established it's self a world track record.

And as someone who knows and owns nothing but high end effects, the E-MU effects are not world class but are more than good enough and better than most average plugs. Besides that, free mediocore effects that DSp based and CPU free are better than no effects or half assed effects that tax the CPU..

anonymous Mon, 02/21/2005 - 16:30

AudioGaff wrote: Track record? The E-MU 0404 has won more awards in the last year since it was released than any and all of the M-Audio 2-channel soundcards combined. With over 30K units sold so far, it is safe to say it has established it's self a world track record.

Yes, it may be establishing sales records as you say, but remains to be seen if it can establish a solid performance record. Personally, I don't give a rat's hoot how many units have sold. It's happens all too often, that so much mediocre stuff outsells much superior products.

And as someone who knows and owns nothing but high end effects, the E-MU effects are not world class but are more than good enough and better than most average plugs. Besides that, free mediocore effects that DSp based and CPU free are better than no effects or half assed effects that tax the CPU..

It's simply good effects(whether or not they tax CPU)
are better than poor effects. As CPUs, Ram, etc. are becoming more and more powerful and cost effective, the onboard DSP had better be of superior quality(which it isn't in the case of the 0404).
Emu should strip off the DSP and sell the 0404 for $39.00. Then,
you would really see sales go through the roof. Of course, this
would probably never happen, because it would interfere with
consumer Creative Audigy division.

AudioGaff Mon, 02/21/2005 - 18:29

You may not give a rat's ass about units sold, but it is a solid indicator used in business and as a gauge of marketshare sucess that establishes a track record. Units are selling because it is a very good product. Not perfect. Not world class, but a very good product with great value for your money. An ideal buget piece of gear. As a guy who has sold and installed dozens of the E-MU products for clients, I can attest that they have a track record that is surpassing that of anybody including M-Audio. You bash them for lack of track record, well it takes time to earn that. For the last year, E-MU has been earning it. The many awards they have earned in the short time the product has been shipping has proven that. The buzz on the web also confirms that. Nothing points to E-MU not contiuing to further earn and surpass the competition. In fact I experience more users replacing M-audio product for E-MU product not the other way around.

Don't be follish, no matter how much CPU power and RAM you have, you still never have enough to do everything you want to do and to also be problem free. If you don't already know, there is a whole lot more to it than just upgrading CPU and RAM to get to the next level of performance or even making the most of what people have available already.

The E-MU DSP effects are as good or better than the effects plugs most people are using. If the worst can you bitch and bash the 0404 is because they are not world class effects, that's a pretty poor and useless argument to own and use the the 0404 as the people buying and using budget soundcards like it are not ever likely going to have or use those kind of upper end effects.

Argue your lack of valid points all you want. For the budget user, the E-MU 0404 is a far superior product that adds much more value for your money than anything currently being made.

anonymous Mon, 02/21/2005 - 22:56

AudioGaff wrote: You may not give a rat's ass about units sold

Exactly.

but it is a solid indicator used in business and as a gauge of marketshare sucess that establishes a track record.

I was referring to a track record of reliability including drivers,which
only comes with TIME.

As a guy who has sold and installed dozens of the E-MU products for clients

Wow, that's a real tough job.

I can attest that they have a "track record"

Do you actually read what you write?

You bash them for lack of track record, well it takes time to earn that.

No kidding. Secondly, being that you even admit
you make money off of selling and installing 0404s, I'm not surprised that you call any criticism about the 0404 as "bashing".

For the last year, E-MU has been earning it. The many awards they have earned in the short time the product has been shipping has proven that. The buzz on the web also confirms that. Nothing points to E-MU not contiuing to further earn and surpass the competition. In fact I experience more users replacing M-audio product for E-MU product not the other way around.

Blah, blah, blah, what a salesman!! LOLLLL!!!!

Don't be follish, no matter how much CPU power and RAM you have, you still never have enough to do everything you want to do and to also be problem free. If you don't already know, there is a whole lot more to it than just upgrading CPU and RAM to get to the next level of performance or even making the most of what people have available already.

Do you actually have a point here? Once you go software, there is NO such thing as problem free. What the hell do you think a DSP is anyway? It's a dedicated processor, and let me tell you that well written software on a capable machine that is properly tweaked
and configured is all that is needed.

The E-MU DSP effects are as good or better than the effects plugs most people are using. If the worst can you bitch and bash the 0404 is because they are not world class effects, that's a pretty poor and useless argument to own and use the the 0404 as the people buying and using budget soundcards like it are not ever likely going to have or use those kind of upper end effects.

Excuse me, how the heck do you know if the people using
budget soundcards are ever going to need or use high end effects?
They could very well be, talented, financially deprived musicians
who have a good ear and big aspirations.

Argue your lack of valid points all you want. For the budget user, the E-MU 0404 is a far superior product that adds much more value for your money than anything currently being made.

Firstly, it's obvious, valid points don't matter to you.
Secondly, you are entitled to your opinion, as am I, so don't get
all offensive to me just because you have different views.
Thirdly, "follish"? Do you mean "foolish" or "full of s..."? Because
you have obviously demonstrated both those attributes.
Fourthly, for all you ranting and emotional salepitch babbling, the only points I made(to reiterate) are:
(1) The 0404 does not have the proven track record of the 2496
at the present time.

and (2) The 0404's DSP is mediocre at best, and not even
programmable, so if it were to sell without it for $39, it would
be worth every penny.

New point:
I recommend to the person who started this thread, to save up and
spend $70 more and buy the new Maudio 192 card. It does
not have any effects at all, but will blow the doors off of the 0404, as well as, not become obsolete for quite a while.
And this recommendation is NOT coming from a salesman, but
a musician who always wants the "best", not necessarily the "most
popular".

AudioGaff Tue, 02/22/2005 - 01:57

a musician

Ya, ok. You are entitiled your misinformed and misled opinion with your zero credibility around here. People can make there own choice. I fine with that.

Since your challanged in facts, I'll even educate you some more. The DSP effects in the E-MU hardware are as programable as any other effects except for the unique Eventide effects processors.

I'm not a full time salesman, but I am an professional audio consultant who does do some sales for prefered clients. The majority of the E-MU products I've installed were not even sold by me just installed and set up as part of overall service.

You say your a musician, mabe you ought to just stick to playing music than making comments of things you obviously know very little of. Dry your weeping eyes, wipe your running nose, keep on reading and you just might learn something so that when you do go off and start to babble, you at least have something of value to add...

anonymous Tue, 02/22/2005 - 07:45

AudioGaff wrote:

a musician

Ya, ok. You are entitiled your misinformed and misled opinion with your zero credibility around here. .....
Since your challanged in facts, I'll even educate you some more..... .. Dry your weeping eyes, wipe your running nose, keep on reading and you just might learn something so that when you do go off and start to babble, ...

Good grief! From a moderator too! You ought to be ashamed of yourself! Now, go stand in the corner and think about your behaviour, you naughty, naughty little moderator, you.

Now, just shake hands and say "sorry", you two. Come on, now, I'm waiting.... :evil:

anonymous Tue, 02/22/2005 - 16:52

[quote=AudioGaff]

a musician

Ya, ok. You are entitiled your misinformed and misled opinion with your zero credibility around here. People can make there own choice. I fine with that.

And you're a moderator? Then the credibility of your section of this
forum just flew out the window!

Since your challanged in facts, I'll even educate you some more. The DSP effects in the E-MU hardware are as programable as any other effects except for the unique Eventide effects processors.

Fine, so they're programmable(but still mediocre).

I'm not a full time salesman,

But nevertheless, like in the RUSH song, a SALESMAN!

but I am an professional audio consultant who does do some sales for prefered clients. The majority of the E-MU products I've installed were not even sold by me just installed and set up as part of overall service.

So which Guitar Center do you work at?

You say your a musician, mabe you ought to just stick to playing music than making comments of things you obviously know very little of. Dry your weeping eyes, wipe your running nose, keep on reading and you just might learn something so that when you do go off and start to babble, you at least have something of value to add...

For all your ridiculous notions and high emotions, you would be
a perfect guest on Oprah if she had an episode entitled
"Guitar center salesmen who go ballastic to people who negatively criticize any products they sell" LOLLL