Skip to main content

Howdy All

I am still waiting on the new system (club anus) which is on its way.

i already own Win2000 is it worth the extra 100 bucks or so to buy Win XP or can i just go with the Opus tweeks and be off and running on 2000.

thanks for your opinions. Mike. :d:

but- the band universal triumphant

Comments

Guest Thu, 01/30/2003 - 07:39

Hey Mike,

I don't know if it would be worth it or not performance wise. I haven't read anything that says that XP definately out-performs 2000. I think OPUS was going to do some testing on that, though.

Personally I'll be sticking with 2000 for now, because I don't care for the XP authorization scheme and Linux audio isn't quite there yet for my needs.

Mitchell

KurtFoster Thu, 01/30/2003 - 08:09

Hey Guys,
Howzzit goin'? I hope I am not disseminating wrong info here (if I am I am sure OPUS will say so :D )but I seem to remember reading / hearing something about 2000 being problematic in DAW applications. I did a lot of researching last year when I was building my DAW and that's something that pops up in my memory. I ended up going with XP Pro and my system has been working without a hitch for quite a while now. My experience has been once I'm in my recording software I don't even see the OS program. Hope that helps! Fats
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tannoy, Dynaudio, Blue Sky, JBL, Earthworks, Westlake, NS 10's :D , Genelec, Hafler, KRK, and PMC
Those are good. …………………….. Pick one.

Tommy P. Thu, 01/30/2003 - 10:08

It takes a while for developers to catch up to an OS release. Since XP is based on the NT technology, 2000 will probably work better today than when it was new. Programmers had to have thier act together for the XP release(and working with Win2000 was part of the learning process), so by now, an XP/Win2000 program should be ready for prime time, or else they'd become part of dot.com history. There were a lot of programmers/music developers that skipped Win2000 altogether because they weren't ready for it. Some tried half baked attempts, but there was a lot to learn, if you only wrote for Win98. Some hardware was incompatible with a realtime OS like 2000/XP.
Only Don OPUS can enlighten us for sure, with a full-blown comprehensive eval... :cool:

Opus2000 Sat, 02/01/2003 - 21:08

Hey guys....in Boston for the weekend so sorry if I was a wee bit late on repsonses...I'll try and do some catching up here.
From what I have heard there are mixed results on the performance between XP and Win2K.
Most say that Win2k outperforms XP, even teaked out! But there are some issues with 2K that are resolved in XP. Midi Sysex data errors..big one there. At work I tried to update a Midi device through Nuendo on Win2K using a Motu USB Fastlane. Wouldn't work at all...constant errors.
Tried the same thing on my XP system and voilla...worked without a hitch!! Also number of devices able to be used was increased.
In the long run I still need to do some testing but I'm happy with XP Pro. Yes, the licensing scheme does suck and with the rumors of "Longhorn" coming out next year we'll have another OS to compare to. Although Longhorn is going to support the PCI Express!! Bottlenecks no more I say!!
Cheers
Opus :D

Tommy P. Mon, 02/03/2003 - 10:24

I put in a fresh install of Win2kPro yesterday. Also installed service pack 3, and a bunch of fixes for system anomolies that Microsoft gave fuzzy descriptions for....no explorer6 thank you very much. But I'm assuming 2K should function as well as XP now, but thats only a feeling on my part. My sound card drivers are in and functioning well, I need to install the main DAW apps and such. I'll do limited testing before I make any judgements.
EDIT: ughh, having problems already, had to go download the rest of the microcrapst updates. I wonder if I shoulda skipped service pack three?oh well just realized my bios doesn't have the usb and cpu temp fixes either, so I may go do that first...
EDIT2: ok screw ASUS, the servers are down, so I'm off to do the famous Don OPUS Win2k tweaks.

SonOfSmawg Mon, 02/03/2003 - 20:23

i already own Win2000 is it worth the extra 100 bucks or so to buy Win XP

$100 ... that's for XP Home Edition (sucks). References here are generally XP Pro (much better), which is closer to $150.
I just recently switched from Win98 to XP Pro. I put it on my peecee and my girlfriend's peecee. She HATES it, and I don't care for it much myself.
My favorite OS is Mac OS 9.2.2. Everything is in it's own logical place and easy to get-to. I don't like Windows, in general, because it takes more steps to accomplish most things. W98 was bad enough, but XP Pro is even worse. I'm all-for advanced features and more control, but not at the expense of added inconvenience to perform everyday tasks.
Another major issue with XP Pro is security while on the internet. We're getting these weird pop-up messages that are not in a browser window, but rather are on grey windows which are somehow inserted through the "back door" via our IP address. This crap never happened with W98, so it's definately a weakness in XP Pro.
I'm just starting to learn about Linux. It's known to be less than user-friendly, and definately not ready for the "average" user yet, but I'm finding that it's not much more difficult to get used-to than XP Pro.
These are only my personal opinions. I am definately not a computer wiz. Perhaps people who are more advanced than I am can appreciate the advanced features enough to overlook the added inconveniences, and perhaps they have the knowledge to be able to fix the security issues.

llornkcor Tue, 02/04/2003 - 04:18

Originally posted by SonOfSmawg:

Another major issue with XP Pro is security while on the internet. We're getting these weird pop-up messages that are not in a browser window, but rather are on grey windows which are somehow inserted through the "back door" via our IP address. This crap never happened with W98, so it's definately a weakness in XP Pro.

Actually, you should be more afraid of win98 while on the internet, unless you have a firewall installed to tell you when your machine is asked to accept connections. I dont have winxp, but I do have win2k with zonealarm installed. Zonealarm will popup an alert when someone or something tries to connect via, say netbui over tcp/ip. THAT'S dangerous NOT knowing those conenctions are happening.

It sounds like the built in firewall is alerting you to connections being asked of your machine.
Not all of those are bad, of course. But anyone asking for telnet, or netbui connections (if you are surfing the net) should not be accepted.

KurtFoster Tue, 02/04/2003 - 10:07

As far as Internet goes I couldn't say anything regarding XP Pro. I run Win 98 on my Internet machine. However my music production machine is running XP Pro and I think it kicks major butt! Very fast and rock solid. I recommend XP Pro for music apps. I realize that a lot of people can't afford a separate computer for music and Internet, but I would never want my music 'puter to be hooked up to the Internet for the reasons just stated in the previous post. Fats
Tannoy, Dynaudio, Blue Sky, JBL, Earthworks, Westlake, NS 10's :D , Genelec, Hafler, KRK, and PMC
Those are good. …………………….. Pick one.