Skip to main content

Does anybody out there have a Marshall SE 100? I have read only good things about them.
JBsound said to try the Groove Tubes Speaker emulator. I like that suggestion, I just wanted to see which one is better? I read on the internet that the Marshall SE100 was designed by the folks at Groove Tubes. Is this true?
I want one of them, not sure which one yet.
Please help me decide.

Comments

Jonesey Thu, 01/19/2006 - 17:02

I have one. What do you want to know. It's very heavy and mimics an open back or closed back cabinet. It also has a speaker attenuator. You can use it for recording by connecting a Marshall head's, for example, speaker output to it and will not need to connect your speakers. The DI sounds very good, especially on clean sounds. I think it sounds much better than a POD, but you only get what you put into it. I rarely use it anymore, since I just mic the cabinet and don't have to worry about nieghbors since i moved to the country. I never heard the groove tubes emulater. What's nice about the marshall emulator is that you can crank your amp as loud as you want with the emulator, it can handle it.

anonymous Thu, 01/19/2006 - 19:42

Jonesey wrote: What do you want to know

I want to know witch is the best sounding one. Wheather its the Groove Tubes or the Marsahall I really dont care. I just want to buy the best sounding one.
I sold my POD. I bought a Hughes & Kettner 100W tube amp, and I want to be able to crank the gain without all the VOLUME
I did some google searches, and lots of guy's love their Marshall SE100.
And I haven't heard much else about the newer Groove Tubes speaker emulator.
Which should I get? I want to get one next week

moonbaby Fri, 01/20/2006 - 17:10

Why have you limited yourself to just those 2 options? The THD Hotplate is probably the best built, best sounding of them all. GT is also known to build a quality, "properly-engineered" tube-amp-safe product. A lot of Marshall gear is now made in the Far East with only the "bottom line" concerned. Does H&K say anything about using the amp cranked into a load like that? Some amps' output transformers don't like the "kickback" that those boxes give to the output stage.Not to mention that your amp will EAT output tubes ($$$) when they're pushed to the brink of war. But there IS something about that harmonic density that saturating the output will provide, eh? Decisions, decisions...

anonymous Sat, 01/21/2006 - 14:53

moonbaby wrote: Does H&K say anything about using the amp cranked into a load like that? Some amps' output transformers don't like the "kickback" that those boxes give to the output stage.

I dont know about that? I am worried now :oops:
Anybody use a Hughes & Kettner amp with any of these soak boxes?
Groove Tubes did mention that only a couple of tube amps don't work with them. One being the Ampeg SVT 300Watt amp.
There was no mention of the Hughes & Kettner amps not working with the soak boxes......hmmm :oops:

moonbaby Sun, 01/22/2006 - 16:48

I didn't want to scare you, dude, it's just that some amps are whimps to these boxes. And NOTHING will handle the 300 watts from a REAL SVT tube monster!
You need to check with H&K's tech support online, to get the real scoop on the toughness of their output stage...It's probably OK, just eats up the tubes faster.

x

User login