Skip to main content

Wow, I am new to this forum and never thought foam and panel traps could create so much "excitement".

Anyway - I am looking to treat a basement studio (15X40, app. 8 foot drywall ceilings) and feel that the foam corner absorbers offer the best bang for the buck in low frequency absorbtion.

However, I'd like to use them freestanding (not glued to the walls in the corners). Any disadvantage to this?

I do plan to use 703/705 2" foam panels for the walls as well. My plans are to cover them in fabric and mount them to a thin pegboard. I can then hang them on small "J" hooks on the walls, minimizing the damage to the walls and also allowing me to move them around as needed. I am also thinking the air space behind the panels with the pegboard holes may create additional surface area for absorbtion.

Lastly I am looking for a creative way to use these 2x4' panels on the ceiling without permanently attaching them.

Note to Ethan - love your minitraps, just feel that for the money, I can get a bigger bang with above plans.

Appreciate any thoughts on these plans.

Comments

Ethan Winer Sun, 06/22/2003 - 06:36

JJ,

You'll get more knowledgeable advice if you re-post this in my Acoustics forum, right next door. But since you're already here I'll address your questions here.

> feel that the foam corner absorbers offer the best bang for the buck in low frequency absorbtion.

Compared to what? 705-FRK rigid fiberglass actually offers more bang for the buck than foam corners because it works much better and usually costs less.

> I'd like to use them freestanding (not glued to the walls in the corners). Any disadvantage to this?

Yes, a big disadvantage: All bass trapping works best when applied in the corners. This is where bass collects - like cupping your hands on your ears - and so is the bass location for absorption.

> I do plan to use 703/705 2" foam panels for the walls as well.

Since you're willing to do a little work and get your hands dirty, I suggest you use fiberglass instead of foam. Whether you put it on the walls or across the corners, dollar for dollar and inch for inch, rigid fiberglass works much better. Especially at low frequencies. For a given thickness, 705-FRK fiberglass absorbs four times more than foam at 125 Hz. It also costs less than most foam brands.

> cover them in fabric and mount them to a thin pegboard.

Don't use pegboard, as that will reduce the low frequency performance. Get some of that stiff metal screen they use to sift gravel and mount the fiberglass to that. Or get some inexpensive plastic garden lattice. The increased air flow will really improve low frequency performance.

--Ethan

Ethan Winer Sun, 06/22/2003 - 10:35

J,

> I was planning on placing it in the corners of the room, just not attached to the walls

As long as the foam is placed within the corner exactly as it would have been were it glued, it will work fine. You might try rubber cement, which is probably tacky enough to hold the light weight of foam, but not so sticky it can't be removed from the walls and foam later.

--Ethan

KurtFoster Sun, 06/22/2003 - 14:06

Originally posted by Ethan Winer:
JJ,

You'll get more knowledgeable advice if you re-post this in my Acoustics forum, right next door. But since you're already here I'll address your questions here.

--Ethan

Insults only serve to show you don't have anything constructive to say. I would have moved this over to Acoustics anyhow.. I feel that is the correct place for it. BTW it is not "your forum". It is an RO forum. You are a moderator. You pay no expenses. That's why threads are not supposed to be deleted with out the administrators permission. This is not your personal playground that you can use to push your products. You were recruited for the moderator position as a moderator, not as a manufacturer. I know because I am the one that did it. Kurt