Skip to main content

I'm in the market for a used (ebay) recording condenser mic under $200 specifically for male vocals. I'm using http://www.studioau… to figure out which mic might be a good fit for me because none of the stores in my area have floor mics to test. I'm not a great singer so heard to stay away from bright mics like the at4033 which may show my faults more. The MXL 2003 sounded pretty good on the male vocals. Other mics in my price range include Studio Projects B1, APEX 210, and AKG Perception 420

I know this forum gets a lot of mic questions and is a very subjective topic, but I just wanted a second opinion before I made the purchase.

Comments

RemyRAD Wed, 06/04/2008 - 01:33

All Chinese condenser microphones are the same. Don't bother. Thin, crunchy, crappie, inconsistent. How about an SM58? Beta 58? Much better. Can use it on other things as well. Really, I should go to work for Shure? Or at least they should give me an endorsement package?

More Shure's. More fun.
Ms. Remy Ann David

anonymous Wed, 06/04/2008 - 01:44

Crankitup wrote: most stores around here don't let you try out mics... maybe because i'm a teenager

I used to get crap like that when I was a kid. Call the store before you go, don't say your 15, ask about mics and the possibility of trying a few out before you put your hard earned cash on the table.
Try and be professional on the phone, you should have the salesperson keen as to help you out.
Now when you walk in, introduce yourself and ask to see the person you spoke to.. Now you shouldn't be treated like a punk.

RemyRAD Wed, 06/04/2008 - 02:26

Heck, even if they don't let you borrow a microphone for evaluation purposes, most retail stores have reasonable return and exchange policies. So purchase yourself a microphone you think you want? Don't like it? Return it. Pick out another. Try that. Don't like that one either? Try another. Don't like that one either?? Then get what I suggest. SM58. You can't go wrong with that. It's warmer and fuller sounding than most cheap condenser microphones. Some people believe in God. I believe in Shure.

A Shure believer
Ms. Remy Ann David

rockstardave Wed, 06/04/2008 - 06:33

RemyRAD wrote: Heck, even if they don't let you borrow a microphone for evaluation purposes, most retail stores have reasonable return and exchange policies. So purchase yourself a microphone you think you want? Don't like it? Return it. Pick out another. Try that. Don't like that one either? Try another. Don't like that one either??

actually, due to health and hygienic reason - microphones are tough to return. lots of places have policies for this exact reason.

who wants to buy a mic that someone else spit all over?

additionally and also, if you're going to call up a store and ask to demo some microphones in-house then that's great. but if you make someone go to all that work and have them help you out -- you'd better buy a mic from them.

it's piss poor form to go have someone help you out like that, answer questions, and allow you to demo mics and then buy elsewhere. bad karma.

anonymous Wed, 06/04/2008 - 07:53

There's maybe one or two stores that I know of that would let me tryout mics, but I won't be buying it in a store. I'm buying whatever mic I decide on ebay. A $300 mic at retail can be as cheap as $150 new on ebay and $100 used. Since this is my hobby and not profession, I'm keeping spending on a tight budget.

rockstardave Wed, 06/04/2008 - 21:50

the3kgt2 wrote: There's maybe one or two stores that I know of that would let me tryout mics, but I won't be buying it in a store. I'm buying whatever mic I decide on ebay. A $300 mic at retail can be as cheap as $150 new on ebay and $100 used. Since this is my hobby and not profession, I'm keeping spending on a tight budget.

great. all i meant was that if it's just a hobby, then dont bother going into a store to try them. if you're looking for a cheap fix, don't take up someone else's time without buying from them. good luck!

ps - i've heard good things about the Studio Projects mics