Skip to main content

Sonar 101

In case anyone out there is interested, I got my copy of Sonar yesterday, and had it up and running in no time flat. About 10 hours, lol. had to re-install display drivers and all of my audio drivers as well. I've got my Panasonic DA7 hooked up to the PC via the MOTU 2408mkII using 2 TDIF cards, and midi control is implemented with a USB midisport 2x2.

Does anyone still slate takes?

Hi all,
I've been listening to the third Chicago album a lot lately. It starts with the last bit of an engineer slating the take. You hear a very distinct "One" followed by tuning, warming up etc.

It got me to wondering if people still slate takes, on the multitrack, and/or the mixes. Does anyone here do it? I think I may start, especially on my newly rebuilt 2".

Has anyone tried the TL Audio VTC?

I'm thinking about picking one up to be used as submixer for my digital effects(480L,M3000,DSP7000,etc). A while ago I used a little Langevin tube mixer for this purpose, and got a great blend without having to EQ my aux sends and returns as much. I think a while back I read that JJP was using a UA mixer(with the new 610 preamps) for this purpose.

Digital mixing

I suppose this is a question for the more high end people around here. We've been talking some about how Pro Tools isn't the best thing to trust your level/mixing chores with. Has anyone here stretched out on one of the top level digital mixers? Oxford, Axiom, Libra, etc.? Any opinions? Are these boards the same sonic letdowns as some of the less expensive stuff?