Skip to main content

Howdy Pilgrims!

This is my first ever post. I've been on this board for about three hours now and as a newbie I am overwhelmed :-), but in a good way!

Anyhow, i have the digi 002R and I want to individually mic my drums so i would actually only need 6 channels but it seems like most multi-channel pre's jump straight from 4 to 8. Anyhow, I've been considering the PreSonus Digimax LT and I can pick one up for about $700 (it lists at $900-$1000) but does anyone have any other suggestions on 8 channel mic preamps or perhaps evena better way to run all 6 drum mics in my digi 002?

thx

Comments

anonymous Fri, 04/08/2005 - 10:22

i have the LT, and to be honest, i think it sounds pretty darn good. i also must say, you should try and go the extra $300-400 and get a True Systems 8-channel pre if you can. doesnt use ADAT, so youll still be using the 002 converters, but makes up for it in the quality of pres. IMHO...
but the LT will work fine for you, as long as your mics are up to snuff as well.

KurtFoster Fri, 04/08/2005 - 14:07

Without starting a big flame (I hope). I just want to point out that there are some people who really don't care for the PreSonus pre amps, me being one of them. There's lots here from myself and others to read on this. Read my review of the M80 in the RO E Mag for a start.

(Dead Link Removed)

There are also a lot of discussion on the subject in RO BB archives. Do a search on Pre Amps or PreSonus ...

I too, recomend looking at the True systems pres. They're not exactaly my cuppa' but at least they are well designed and meet criteria for a quality mic pre. Also of note but perhaps out of your budget would be the JLM TMP8. This is one of my favorite 8 channel mic pres.

On a budget, I am currently steering folks to the Studio Projects SP 828. I'm not saying these are smokin' pres but at least the features are all there and the price is much more in line with what pres of this quality are really worth IMO.

I never thought I would find myself suggesting a Behringer product, but there's been talk of the AD8000 here. The price is right and it has mic pres (albeit marginal ones) built in. Don't expect world class performance at that price point though. But I would be willing to venture you would be just as happy with that as anyone who uses the PreSonus Digimax or the Focusrite Octopres is, at a significantly better price. If you're gonna buy cheap sh*t, it might as well be really inexpensive.

I personally feel you will be much better off in the long run picking up an inexpensive digital intherface like the Alesis AI3s and a sepreate multi channel mic pre.

anonymous Sun, 04/10/2005 - 07:47

You could get a more interesting sound in combining different preamps and experimenting with them. If you are on a budget, please do not spend all of your money for things you do not need or for just one unit having 8 channels but generating crappy sound. Check out some single channel pres for around 50 to 100 bucks! Just my 2 cents.

KurtFoster Sun, 04/10/2005 - 10:01

Verveling wrote: Thanks guys. This really helps a lot! I'm assuming the Alesis converters are an upgrade compared to those on the digi???

I think so. Most converters that employ ADAT interfacing actually use the same chips from Alesis. The main difference is how they are clocked. The AI3's clock via the lightpipe in from your sound card ... so they are driven from the computers clock. Well clocked, the AI3 can be surprising IMO. I think they are underestimated.

Attitude wrote: You could get a more interesting sound in combining different preamps and experimenting with them. ..... Unlike most of the people on this forum, I claim that you can achieve a good sound without paying a lot. Check out some single channel pres for around 50 to 100 bucks. ...... Check out that single channel ART or Behringer(!) stuff ...... if you want to have decent 4 channel pres and the "pro-sound", you have to go with RME's Quadmic. I think this company is way too underestimated.

I agree that if you don't have the resources, don't spend your dough on a lot of semi expensive mic pres. I don't think the PreSonus, Focusrite Platinum / Green, Joe Meek kind of things off much appreciable difference compared to the least expensive offerings like a simple Mackie mic pre.

Whether you can achieve "good sound" with inexpensive pres or not is very subjective. I have observed that most people who say those kinds of things, don't have a wealth of experience with the high end. They may have been exposed to good stuff from time to time but not totally immersed in it.

The differences great pres offer especially if used across many tracks is astounding. Good pres make basic tracks that are easier to mix and that have sense of dimension and depth as well as better bass and transient handling capability. Fletcher from Mercenary Audio says it this way, "(They) don't have the headroom nor phase response (due to) insufficient power supplies to deliver proper current on demand to form a proper bass wave or pass a transient."

I suggest anyone who wants to learn more about why good mic pres are good and cheap ones aren't, go John Hardys web site [ http://www.johnhardyco.com ] and read the link "Outboard Mic Pre-Amps: What's the Deal?

therecordingart Tue, 04/19/2005 - 17:25

I have an ADA8000 and I just use it as extra preamps. It doesn't sound great, and it doesn't sound awful. For $200 it serves the function that I need, but if you are going to be using the 8 channel pre as your main pres....save as much as you can and buy once. I find it much more satisfying to buy something that I know will never be replaced. I only have a few things that I won't be replacing.

jonnyc Sun, 04/24/2005 - 13:27

I have the ada8000 and the digimax lt there's a big difference between the two. the ada8000 is very brittle in the highs find it tough sometimes to tame cymbals. the digimax is great compared to the berhinger. If you're looking for another choise the m-audio octane is around 600 never heard it though. If you planning on mass releasing this cd i wouldn't touch the behringer. If you just wanna make demos and give people a good idea of what you're doing get the behringer and save some money.

anonymous Mon, 04/25/2005 - 01:07

Guys...I wonder this about the cheap pre debate...

Do people over look that fact that the Presonus Firepod goes for about the same as a lot of the cheaper 8 I/O pre's...it has better pre's & cleaner converters than a portion of them, BUT it also has a firewire interface plus SPDIF I/O & monitor setup with main out.... for someone who doesn't 'need' them it's still a bonus as they can take the unit wherever they want to do live recordings. If they don't want to use them they can just go straight out of the unit (or can they? maybe you do need a 'puter to do this..)

Make sense?