Skip to main content

I'm looking for a way to use drum triggers to trigger my SP404sx in a live drum set up. I also have a Scarlett Focusrite 2i4 that could be used in the setup if necessary.

Could anyone tell me how I could achieve this? What sort of drum triggers I could use (something like the Roland BT-1 bars would be perfect i know i cant use these though)? I say something like the Roland BT-1 because it would be nice to be able to be able to play the pad without triggering the acoustic drum everytime.

And finally, for bonus points, if someone could tell me how to/if it is possible to use multiple triggers with the SP404 despite the SP only having one MIDI In. (Please note: the Focusrite has a midi in and a midi out)

PLEASE NOTE: I know the SPD-SX would do all of this easily but I am trying to avoid buying one.

Thank you!

Comments

pcrecord Thu, 01/04/2018 - 02:48

You will need drum triggers, either pads or DIY triggers.
Those need to be plugged to a drum module in order to create midi data which will be sent to your sp404 via the midi cable.
The only thing to worry about is to set the midi output channel on the drum module to match the midi input channel of the sp404.
Usually by default drums come on channel 10.

Sel0001 Tue, 02/20/2018 - 19:40

Thanks for the response! I have two follow up questions. If i use the sp404 with a Roland TM2 will i be able to:

1. Use the SP404s effects on the samples that are being triggered.
2. Play other samples from the same SP404 that aren't on pads that are going to be triggered. For example, I would have a snare sound to be triggered on say pad 2 and a textural sample on pad 3. Could I have the textures on pad 3 playing while I use pad 2 through the trigger?

pcrecord Wed, 02/21/2018 - 05:04

Both units will use midi to transmit data. (drum module midi out to sp404 in)
Midi is a very simple and dumb language. It sends the note number, volume, velocity and some other informations from a unit to an other.
It doesn't transport audio so you can't apply on the sound of a unit the effect available on an other.
What you can possibly do is record the midi data to a recording software (DAW) then you can make the SP404 play the recorded midi data.
That's basicly what I do, recording on a roland TD9 and play it back either on an external sound module or a virtual instrument software inside the DAW.
I don't know the TM2 enough to say if you can link sounds or trigger more than one note on the same pad. But we usually don't need to deal with that in the studio
because you can layer sounds and play the midi back to the modules many times.. or modify the notes in the DAW.

Hope it helps