Skip to main content

Hi,

This is my first post here. Looks like a great resource!

Anyway, I'm wondering if there might be a preamp in the $300 ballpark that might improve my setup. Currently I'm using my Mackie 1604-VLZ (not a "pro").

Those "low voltage" (?) tube preamps like the ART TubeMP often get a bad rap because they don't run their tube with a high enough plate voltage (as I understand it). Is that just as a comparison to the high-end tube preamps? Would they be any improvement over the Mackie input stage? I've seen some reasonable reviews of the ProSonus Blue Tube unit, even though it seems to also run its tubes at a low voltage.

I've seen Sam Ash selling a Roland MMP-2 (2-channel mic-modeling preamp) unit for $129. From what they said Roland is discontinuing the unit, and they bought the entire remaining stock and are "blowing it out". It seems the unit was originally listing for $700 and selling for around $500, and I've seen prices like $360 recently on the web. It has a lot of features over a mic preamp (4 band parametric EQ, compression, mic modeling, and even preamp modeling(?)). Seems tempting at $129, but are the preamps in it any good (in comparison to my Mackie's)?

I guess I'm hoping for some noticable improvement in my recordings. I'm not sure exactly what is improved by getting a dedicated preamp, but it seems to be a well regarded upgrade. Is it a better S/N ratio, or superior frequency response, or what?

Given the preamps in the $300 range, would there be a substantial additional improvement to save a bit more and get, say, an RNP (or something else) for $500 or so?

So, I'd be eager to engage in any discussions about this topic, and I'd appreciate any specific suggestions you may have about what sort of preamp I should be considering.

Just in case it matters, I have a Windows XP based DAW running SONAR XP with a Dakota interface and their Tango24 AD/DA converters. I've got my Mackie 1604 (as mentioned), and a pair of HR824s. I've got a pair of the Oktava MK-319s, and just picked up a Marshal MXL 2003, plus a couple of SM57s and a '58. I've got a Lexicon MPX-500, an Aphex 108 compressor (2-channel), plus whatever plugin effects come with Sonar and Sound Forge.

I'll probably be recording vocal/guitar/bass/drums mostly, along with some acoustic piano, but may (and have in the past) record strings or other orchestral instruments occasionally. I guess I could categorize most of what I do as kind of a "classic rock" sort of vein (although I'd put a lot of current music in that category as well), rather than say heavy metal or rap (not that theres anything wrong with that ;-)

Just for perspective, would you think a $300 microphone (or even stretching to $500) would make a more significant improvement to my setup instead of a preamp in that price range?

Thanks,
--
Greg Youngdahl
cimarroncellar@sbcglobal.net

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Sun, 02/01/2004 - 11:10

dmp3 if you need stereo ($160 us). vtb-1 if you want mono tube($130 us). If you can squeeze $500 then i'd get the RNP. From want kurt showed - its heaven (thanks bro). keep in mind i haven't used any of them (cursed with a tube mp) but i haven't read a bad thing about them - ever. they get 9'x and 10's in every review. I plan on getting a dmp3 for matched overheads and a vtb-1 for vocals. hopefully there is a way to rack mount them all together....

ps. i've read that the m-audio tampa is real nice and quite possibley the best preamp for DI bass. its running on the street for $350.