Skip to main content

Hello
Im starting to build a fairly tight budget studio and have very cool stuff in the way of DAW, Mics, Outboardgear and space. But what i need is a console that will allow for 16 tracks( for input into pro tools) and for more in case i want to mix off an Alesis hdat Now, originally we were going for the Behringer mx9000( keep in mind this is to get the studio up and rolling) but my associates found this phonic console and i know what you are all thinking about phonic products, but i read some decent reviews on their surround console, and the difference between this one and the Behringer is roughly 400$(depends on the dealer)which makes a nicer impact on our budget. Theres mostly post production that will be mixed and some bands. I like that this console brings and MS matrix on the first two channels and a couple other features for the price range. Heres the link so you all can check it out.

http://www.phonic.com/partner/modules/product_explor/products_detail.php?product_id=41

I would like to know if anyones ever used it? used other phnic products? any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks
A.

Comments

audiowkstation Fri, 10/28/2005 - 21:55

I was asked to build a few budget studios this year for folks getting into it and in this particular case, I would go with behringer.

My reason?

Well, one studio had a Phonic EQ and if is any indication of 'phonics quality' I would stay clear. Simply put, the circuit board in the eq was broken from inserting a 1/4 plug. See if you can find service for the phonic brand.

I could not

..and it was so crappy that I tossed it in the can.

Look and see if they fix what they make.

At least..behringer is not that frigile nor crappy...they are just not road worthy is all. Good for the budget studio.

Davedog Sat, 10/29/2005 - 10:15

My live band had a little Phonic mixer for a while....It came with the entire PA package so it wasnt a choice per se....It was noisy and sounded like crap...The crosstalk was horrendous and the EQ wasnt really usable.

If you want sonically sound and well built and you have a small budget then you need to seriously consider something from the used market.

I dont know what your budget is, you havent listed it, but there are lots of used consoles for reasonable prices(probably less) that are built better, sound better, and have more features than either of those boards mentioned. I dont want a flame war over this, but the Ber..........er is slightly more expensive crap than the Phonic stuff....

I do appreciate the need to be up and running, and I wont be one of those who would harp on only buying the 'best' or pack it in....quite the contrary. What I am saying, is do yourself a favor right off the bat, and get something that you will look forward to using for a while. All mixers in this range are going to have an issue of some kind....Hopefully not the build quality, or the sound.

Without an idea of your budget theres no way I could successfully lead you towards something of higher quality and sound.

Suffice to say that a used Mackie,Soundcraft,Ramsa,Allen&Heath,Yamaha,StudioMaster or the like will give you a much better sonic pallette than either of your choices.

anonymous Thu, 11/03/2005 - 11:59

Well, Davedog, we've been trying to fit it under 8 grand. With the phonic my budget was around 8200. with the behringer it was around 8500. My problem: i need 20- 24 tracks. Also another problem: i live in el salvador. For example, if i had an allen and heath break down on me, i wouldnt find anyone to service it. My best option would be to go with a mackie or a soundcraft, but i haven been able to fin one with more than 16 tracks for aorund the price range. I need this amount of tracks because i do alot of drums and local bands as well as foley. we also would like to mix "analog"( meaning mixing on the board) as opposed to mixing in the box. My budget doesnt allow for much but if yuou could point me in the right direction of a better product, im all ears. Thanks for all your replies and sorry i hadnt responded earlier, lot of work.
AS