Skip to main content

Hi all,

New to forum. Am songwriter/musician with home studio.

Looking at a large diaphram studio condenser mic for $300. Any feedback on Groove Tubes GT-55 versus RODE NT-1000?

My preamp is a PreSonus Eureka.

Main use for this mic will be vocals.

Thanks,

Aaron

Comments

anonymous Fri, 11/11/2005 - 08:36

I just bought one last night. I initially planned on getting a Shure KSM27, but the guys at the music store did a side-by-side comparison, and the GT-55 seemed to be less... muffled? Hard to describe. Same price, so no biggie. If I don't like it, I'll take it back and maybe try out the KSM27.

It's still pretty new to me; I need some time to play around with it before I'm sure I can recommend it, but it sounded pretty good on some vocals I tracked last night (the mic sounded good, not the vocals).

anonymous Fri, 11/11/2005 - 12:27

I've used the gt-55 on male vocals, guitar cabs, drum overheads and outside kick mic.

the thing is a champ. i would recommend them as a typical mid-level mic. i wouldn't say it is particularly "warm" or "tube" sounding. nice mids and works well on clean guitars.

i also have 2 studio projects c3s that i like very much, but they are a bit brighter. might sound good on vocals that you want some clarity on.

steve

x

User login