Skip to main content

ive been looking at some mics and some type of recording equipment shown here

midweststereo.com/USB-CONDENSER-MICROPHONE-p/Behringer -c-1u.htm

midweststereo.com/Tascam-Recorders-p/Tascam-ak-dr1.htm

midweststereo.com/Tube-MP-Project-Series-USB-Tube-Mic preamp-p/art-tube-mp-project-series-usb.htm

and wanted your opinion of the equiipment and if you think you know some stuff better for me, any tips?

Comments

TheJackAttack Tue, 10/25/2011 - 21:49

I would skip anything named Behr****. While ART makes some good basic gear the Tube MP and similar are not part of that.

For $500 you would be best served by starting with an Impact Twin and a Shure SM58. A cheap chinese condenser is NOT the place to start unless you are immediately going to send it off for a $400 custom mod from any of about five places.

Kapt.Krunch Wed, 10/26/2011 - 05:28

Tascam DR-1: No multitrack capability. Record (I think) only stereo (or two-track mono)...but it does have overdub capability. Not useful for music creation. What goes in has to pretty much be premixed perfectly, and if overdubbing, the overdubbed signal would have to be perfectly mixed to the original signal. These things are meant for sketch idea recordings (a guitar/vocal quick recording), easy field recording (interviews, nature sounds, crappy-sounding bootlegged concert recordings, quick'n'dirty band practices, etc.) If something like that is what you need, no problem. If wishing to build up even semi-quality recordings, not.

Behringer: As already stated, nix the crappy Behringer ANYthing. Friends don't let friends buy Behringer. The ONLY useful thing they ever made was the FCB1010 MIDI control, but I wouldn't rely on it for constant stage use, at least not without an identically programmed back-up one to swap quickly. A quick search for "Behringer" and "repair" (etc.) will more than explain why. BTW, if you ever get curious about guitar amps named "Bugera", stop and look elsewhere. Consider that they are basically the same cheap Chinese-made garbage (inferior knock-offs, mainly, of quality equipment).

ART Tube MP: A $60 preamp won't do you any sonic favors. Do some research on how those low-powered "tube" preamps really work. They can be handy for a few things...I have an old MP to grunge things up (and then have to de-noise)...but don't expect any "glorious smooth tube tone" out of them.

What is your intended goal, anyway? Do you have...and would you be able to use...a computer? Is this for home, or at other locations?

The combination you listed is good for, basically, nothing. If location recording direct to two-track, with no additional multi-track needed, then you don't need to add a crappy mic (the TASCAM mics would likely sound better than a Behr) and you certainly don't need to use just one mic, plugged into a cheap preamp...which, by the way, needs to be plugged into an AC outlet.

List your goals. List anything you have that MAY be more useful (computers, etc.). What instruments do you play (if wanting to record yourself)? Do you want to add instruments to the initial recording? Solo music-making, a band...what?

Kapt.Krunch

assemblethelight Sat, 10/29/2011 - 19:49

Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 or 18i6: Why?....better preamps and converters. The preamps are great. Also, the E-MU 0404. $250

MXL V67 or Studio Projects B1: Good stock, good for simple mods. $120

Shure SM57: If you do not know why, maybe you should not be in the recording phase ha.

[[url=http://[/URL]="http://www.zzounds…"]Sennheiser HD280[/]="http://www.zzounds…"]Sennheiser HD280[/] headphones for mixing.

RemyRAD Tue, 11/01/2011 - 01:02

Really got 2 tell us what you want to use it for? Recordings of your church choir? Rap and hip-hop? You're an announcer? You can play guitar drums bass keyboard and want to do it all? So this guy walks into a bar and says I'd like a drink...

Scotch, single malt, up, neat & cool. Any Glen will do.
Mx. Remy Ann David