Skip to main content

I'm going to been recording rap vocals in my home studio and need recommendations for a mic preamp to rent. I'll be renting a U87 and everyone knows how notoriously poor the mic preamps are in the 001. Any advice would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Mon, 06/05/2006 - 05:34

Rap vocal & U87 doesn't seem to be a good blend. An SM58 would do a better job and save your cash for the capsule replacement on the U87...
All vocal style doesn't deserve a U87, like for rap. You better have the top
pop filter if you use that kind of mic. I f you finally rent the U87 or something similar, do the test while your tracking, and try a Shure SM58/57
to compare with the Neumann, you will be surprise how the sm58 is closer from rap sound than the U87.

Tom Fodor Sun, 06/11/2006 - 06:04

You Guys would buy an Avalon Pre and then run it through the Digi 001Converters ? You might as well run it through a sound blaster card! Dude, you want some solid advice about purchasing options then talk to Kurt. He will set you in the "right" dirrection. Your signal chain is only as strong as its weakest link ( your Digi 001 ), so unless you have a great interface with top notch converters you will never get the full benefit of high end pre's and Mics. A waste of your hard earned money at this stage......