Skip to main content

I just got this setup the other day mainly to record french horn in a mix and alone for practicing.
I guess I just assumed I would plug it in and there would be a slider on the mixer that I could control the gain with and if it was too hot I would turn it down until it is just right.
The NTK is powered like most of you know and I plugged it into the XLR of the 1010lt and on the "standard settings" in the manual.
I fired up soundforge and it clipped no matter what i did...so I change the jumper to the one with less input and it still clipped...then I changed to liine level and it was then too cold.

But then I fired up Cubase and record with the mic in and it was much less...Cubase has its own gain but to be honest it did not sound very good when I messed with the gain...
In fact the mic does not sound as good on the horn as the usb snowball thing I return but I know that this type of mic should have much better results.
any idea of how to set this up on a 1010lt to be able to use correctly...where should I adjust the "input?" the "gain" there is just too many places to mess with it
thanks for any help
Chad

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Sat, 08/27/2005 - 14:17

1010lt has mic pre amps...xlr in
I thought my descrition of the different setting would imply that this card has a preamp on it???
people have nad success with the 1010lt on a number of microphones using its "built in mic pre amp..."

I have had some luck today swtiching the mic input to a striaght balanced line level...I still get a decent signal and the sound is clean...

but it is strange..
I have heard rode mics are just really hot....

any other thoughts