Skip to main content

Yep, I'm gonna try it. I don't really see what I want out there as a complete unit, but I see a lot of options.
I am really going to need some help on this, so feel free to chime in with solid info. :D
I know I need 2 hard drives (but I'm not sure which ones) and I could live with 512 RAM (again, not sure which one). DVDRW seems important to include for storing info and doing back-ups. Obviously firewire and USB 2, and CD-RW.
I don't know if the choice of manufacturer makes any difference on a lot of this stuff, but I see warnings about "chips" not being compatible.
I know that the more slots the mobo has, the better.
I'm not sure about "cache" size, and I'm not sure if I should go with AMD (which is athlon...I think) or Pentium 4.
I want it to be rack mount with the silencing stuff added and the quiet fans, but haven't found that available online yet as a kit.
I guess a separate power supply is good, but I'm not sure why, except that maybe I could put the power supply in a different room?
I have up to about $1000 to blow, and this is going to be the best fun I've had since...well. since old Zeke got stuck in the fishin' hole. But that's another story, he he he... 8-)

Thanks for all and any advice, even the guy that thinks I should sell the Pro Tools and start over!

Shaun
http://www.houseofbossa.com

let the sun shine in 8)

Comments

sdevino Thu, 12/30/2004 - 17:33

Sounds like a previous generation Dual G5 Mac would be easier and cheaper! :)

Just to help a little:
- I suggest a minimum of 1 GB RAM. The more the better, 512MB is not enough.

- Hard drives can be any 7200 ATA or SATA drive. Almost anything that is commercially available are plenty fast enough for much more than a 002 can do.

- Making one of the drive removable is a good idea.

- Pro Tools LE runs fine on my 1GHz Powerbook G4, so any 1.8 GHz or faster CPU in a new system will be fine.

- LE is limited to 32 tracks at a time. Just find reasonable speed parts and that are known to be reliable in normal PC applications and you will be fine.

Good Luck!
Steve

P.S. My home built PC that I use for Gigastudio cost $1000 more than the dual 1.8 GHz G5 I use to run PT HD TDM. Go figure.

Randyman... Thu, 12/30/2004 - 22:00

sdevino wrote: Sounds like a previous generation Dual G5 Mac would be easier and cheaper! :)

P.S. My home built PC that I use for Gigastudio cost $1000 more than the dual 1.8 GHz G5 I use to run PT HD TDM. Go figure.

And Then...

I paid $1899 for a new Dual 1.8GHz. I added a SATA drive for $80.

You spent $2899 on a home-built PC? Woah! That must be on hell-of-a PC? I only spent ~$800 (plus monitor and RME PCI Soundcard) on my brand-new 3.0GHz Shuttle XPC wth 1 Gig of low-latency Dual-Channel RAM and the 915 Chipset w/PCI-Express 16x capability, and it runs Nuendo like a champ. Whatever floats your boat. I just can't see spending over $2000 on a computer - be it Mac or PC. $1000 will get you a very nice PC IMO.

:cool:

Big_D Thu, 12/30/2004 - 23:44

I just can't see spending over $2000 on a computer - be it Mac or PC. $1000 will get you a very nice PC IMO.

I'm with you on this on Randy, My DAW was well under a grand, P4 2.4, 1 GB Low Latency RAM, 80 & 200 GB SATA HDD's, Plextor DVD/RW. My gaming rig (P4 3.2) was $1500 and the video card was over $500 of that. Earlier this year I built a custom flight/racing simulator with 3 flat panels for a client and that was a little over $2700. $1500 will get you a state of the art PC, another $500 will get you a great monitor, what more do you need.