Skip to main content

I'm looking for a nice and versatile sounding vocal recording path. Would the combination of the SPL Gainstation with the Gefell 930 be something to write home about? Any alternative suggestions in this price range?

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Tue, 03/22/2005 - 21:19

Hello,
The Gefell 930 used with the SPL Gain series is quite a superb combination. The 930 is one of the finest newer generation mic's available, and the SPL Gain series (single and dual pre's) offers a very neutral signal path with tremendous clarity of tube sound.
Options to consider in the superlative category for FET mics ($600-1800 range) would be:
U87, Rode NT2000, NT-2A, AKG 414 XL II and the Blue Bottle (all multi patterns). Having said that, I would rather categorize (personal view of course!) the M930 as the 'Swiss army knife' among all cardioid-only babies. Probably the most unassuming little superlative space-saver of them all.

For the Pre's, the range is rather vast, so I guess you'll have to weigh FET vs Tube, dollar vs dollar, USB/Firewire interfaces vs Pre's with digital outs, and pres with combination of built-in parametric EQ and Compressor. You could consider any of the following brands (not listed in any particular order) in your price range:
Grace Design, Art DPA, Focusrite Twin Trak Pro, Joemeek Channel1, Great River, Toft Audio, etc.
Have a nice day!

anonymous Fri, 03/25/2005 - 19:34

Goldberg01 wrote: Thanks for your reply! The other option I am considering is the LA610 (Universal audio). How would that sound differ from the Gainstation, and would that one work well with the M930?

The LA610 offers a fine combination of a dual channel Pre, EQ and Compressor and its multiple tube combination offers an excellent warm vintage sound, In my opinion, its a better deal for the M930. Good choice!!

Cucco Tue, 03/29/2005 - 10:24

I'm surprised to see you lump the Grace and the ART in the same sentence. These are two WILDLY different beasts. I do sincerely agree with your assessment of the M930 microphone. It truly is one of the finest mics to be introduced within the past 20 years.

It and the GainStation would be a great compliment. I would also say the GT Brick would be a great compliment for this as well, as would the Summit 2BA-221. As a matter of fact, either of these two pre's would be my first choice for this mic on almost ANY source - pipe organ to hammond organ - opera diva to pop diva.

J...

x

User login