Skip to main content

So this has been covered a many times in these forums, but now I'm in the position of actually having to choose one of these for a multipurpose (mostly vocals) lg diaphragm condenser- I'm familiar with the TLM 103 and how it sounds. Some folks seem to like the others more. I know its a matter of taste (and what room yer standing in, and of course what the source is, etc.) but I'm looking for a direct comparisons/suggestions by those who have experience using these mics. any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

anonymous Mon, 04/04/2005 - 19:38

go for Neumann...TLM 103...i have a pair of it in my studio...its really good.. i loved to record guitars on it more then the vocals..... if you think to record instruments which normally has more attack or you wanna capture mids more.....then definitly go for Apex435...i recently bought 4 of them...and believe me they are awsome..i used it on drums..percs..congos the arabic instrument i don't know wht you called i guess Djembe or dumbek.... its really good...

sdelsolray Mon, 04/04/2005 - 22:07

Gefells usually smoke their Neumann siblings, and a M930 and TLM103 comparison follows that trend. Comparing the U195 to the M930 is difficult. They are rather different mics. One isn't necessarily better than the other. The M930 has the pedigree sound. The U195 has a fresh character. You're going to have to A/B them yourself.

Cucco Tue, 04/05/2005 - 07:29

I agree completely with sdelsolray.

The Gefell embarrasses the Neumann. The TLM103 was designed to be a "budget" Neumann, the Gefell simply is affordable. (Perhaps cuz they are still the 'underdogs'.)

Frankly, I think most Gefell stuff is far underpriced in comparison to their Neumann bretheren and are some of the best mics on the market.

Just my .02

J

beauarts Tue, 04/05/2005 - 08:15

I sold my u87ai last year because i just wasn't using it and wanted to pay down some debt. Not long after I came across a used gefell for cheap and bought it(shows how much self control i have). Anyway it's a great all around mic and I've been using on just about everything.

The fact it's a large-diaphram mic in an extremelly small package makes it a breeze to use. I'm keeping my eyes open for a second one. I'd go for it if i were you.

THeBLueROom Tue, 04/05/2005 - 15:43

I had Neumann 103 and it wasn't cutting it for me. A nice mic, but way overrated and overpriced considering the competition. I think the KSM44 and the Gefell are probably better choices.

There are tube mics on the market that kick much ass for about the same too. The Peluso 22 251 for one is a stunning mic that absolutely destroys the Neumann in pretty much every aspect. The ADK TC is a great mic as well. If you want to cover more bases and get into 2 mics for about the same and the Neumann, look into the ADK Vienna (SS mic for $299, and worth a lot more) and then pick out something else you might want for $600 and then you have more options in the studio for the same price as the Neumann.