Skip to main content

Hello I just received my Tascam 414 MKII in the mail. I haven't had a chance to use it and I probably won't for a few days. In the mean time I've read the whole manual but there are a few things that I still don't understand and would like to before I get going with it. I also have some questions about tape tracking in general. I have recorded on computers for 5 years and this is my first endeavor into analog.

1) Why are the stereo imputs on the back labeled 5-6 and 7-8 as if they are both two channels in themselves. Aren't they essentially mono tracks like 1-4?

2) Why does the Effect 2/Tape Cue application share a button/switch? It seems to me like sending a signal to an effect and the much more important application of sending a signal to headphones so that tracks don't get bounced down constantly would merit their own buttons.

3) If I bounced down tracks 1-3 to track 4, would track 4 be a stereo track? Or would it convert the stereo tracks 1-3 to mono? I don't understand how a single track could be stereo.

4) The "record function" switch has the option (on track 1 for example) of 1, SAFE, and L. I know Safe basically un-cues the track for recording, and L is what the manual says to use when recording on track 1 (along with turning the pan nob all the way to the Left). What happens when the switch is in the "1" position. Furthermore, when the switch is in the L position does the pan nob act as another trim basically (assuming all other tracks are on SAFE.)?

Thanks,
Taylor

Topic Tags

Comments

kmetal Sun, 09/19/2010 - 21:32

your stereo inputs are generally used for you aux sends/returns. you can aslo use them as additional inputs when tracking/mixdown. they can be mono (individual sources), or stereo when used w/ stereo sources.
the tape cue switch is so you can have effects in your headphones and not commit them to tape. compromises had to be made in this machine to keep it versitile and affordable.
each track is mono. there is no option for a "stereo track" like there is in your DAW. stereo is two tracks one L one R= 2 tracks.
when the switch is in "L" your recording to the master bus, i.e, two track tape directly. this function allows you to use inputs 5-6 while tracking. it also commits all information to tape this includes panning, levels eqs ect. when switch is in 1 you commit to only 1 of 4 available tracks and eqs. upon playback you can alter panning and realitive levels via the fader and panning.