Skip to main content

Hi

Besides the obvious...two channels on te veqc200, pre-amp on the Thorax...what are the specific differences between the Compressors on the two units?

Thanks
Mick

Comments

Sebatron Sat, 05/21/2005 - 05:36

what are the specific differences between the Compressors on the two units?

The THORAX comp circuit is a major evolution of the VEQC comp circuit.
Although both are optical in nature and driven by Class A discrete circuitry.

How do they differ?
The THORAX comp circuit has a much wider dynamic range allowing it to react over a wider range of signal level and conversely attenuate ( compress ) over a wider range.The THROAX also has greater flexibility in adjusting the compression time dependant curve because of the extra parameters available to the user….
Namely the Attack and Release parameters which have been factored ( or spread ) out over the three-position A/R toggle switch….from fast to slow …..
Additionally the THORAX compressor is faster than the VEQC meaning that it can operate in a peak mode more effectively and is desirable in certain percussive situations…..

On the other hand the VEQC is in its own class of units ,, and fills a void here.It's a stereo based valve EQ/Comp/Exciter.
Drums in particular are really interesting when sub-grouped through this unit.
The circuit anomalies seem to create more of a 3-D image to a premix.
I used to sub group just kick and bass through the early prototypes in sessions and just that could totally change a mix. Mono in but Stereo came out.
The passive E.Q network is great for chomping out a big mid section of frequencies and highlighting upper harmonics generated in the valves with the variable Air feature…The two mid bands are unfortunately quite close together so sometimes it can be a let down if you need to be a bit more surgical. However , it’s not really designed to be such a box. Like I say ,, more of complete set of E.Q and Comp that acts either subtly or destructively to create sound timbres not really attainable on most current gear.
It can get you to a place real quickly once you get a feel of the signal path.
Don’t buy it if it’s your only compressor ,, but if you own many compressors and you only use this one then you would definitely have your own sound.
The VEQC will be upgraded shortly with the same THORAX comp circuitry.
I suggest hanging out for that.

So please ramble at length

THORAX
Transformer balanced input.
D.C valve filament for quieter operation.
Anodes driven by H.T rail.
Voltage selector on back for 110/220 vac operation.
Complete Steel box and front panel …. No Aluminium.
Discrete Class A circuitry throughout.
No intergrated circuits.
All parts readily available.

Mic pre:
XLR inputs on front and back.
D.I input for a wide range of impedances.
Switchable phase , phantom and a three way attenuating pad.
Air and Deep for upper and lower spectrum control.
Variable Colour control .
Variable output level.

Compressor:
Optical attenutaion …. feedback compression.
True bypass also shunts off detection circuitry .
Variable colour and gain selectable via the ‘drive’ control.
Compression timing constants spread over a three way toggle.
Variable output level….blah blah …..

Metering:
Switchable and variable for different situations …. High , med , low ranges .
Preamp and Main output levels.
Gain Reduction.

The THORAX can also be thought of as two vmp channels linked up with a dynamic dependant attenuation circuit ( compressor ) patched into the middle of the last quandrant .
You see, ,, the approach was not preamp then add EQ then add a Comp section….
It’s setup around a totally discrete signal path with the various passive networks ( EQ/Comp) added as tangental signal modifiers that don’t impede the quality of the signal at all. That’s why when you kick in the Comp section of the THORAX there is absolutely NO signal degradation.
The E.Q is deliberately targeted at frequencies that are hardest to manipulate using digital E.Q./ plug ins etc ….
These two points ( air and deep ) are the ones that make the analog gear worthwhile….. the valves , the passive networks ….
With the variable colour and E.Q functions you can get some very inspirational tones and flavours. The D.I can be a killer for bass and guitars and being able to immediately dial in a bit of compression makes it quick and reliable to use.
Vocals can be softly compressed with a nice slow attack/release or Squashed quite effectively when compression times are shortened.
At the highest Ratio , you can scream and then whisper into the mic and the meter will barely move.
If you want to really squash , to go further , try the drive control in ‘ Hot ‘ mode.

8)

anonymous Sun, 05/22/2005 - 16:24

Thank you so much....excellent...

So I'm reading this with my vocalist hat on (my studio focuses on vocals) and the thorax seems the more obvious way to go.... But I'm confused...

The THORAX can also be thought of as two vmp channels linked up with a dynamic dependant attenuation circuit ( compressor ) patched into the middle of the last quandrant

First reading I thought two channels in the THORAX....!!! But revisited the docos and no its one channel. So I am taking from youre description that you are talking about two channels in series with the compressor in the middle.
Damn, the thought of a two channel THORAX....NICE!! :D

And last question....why the name THORAX?? All I can guess was you were fighting with a bull-ant at the time you were drinking nice Barossa red(s) and thinking up names...!!

Keep well and keep producing these gems.

Mick