Skip to main content

Thoughts on this punk mix?

[MEDIA=soundcloud]kerfoot32/xxx[/MEDIA]

So I'm generally happy with this mix, if anything the vocals need more EQing. I'm still relatively new to all of this so I was just hoping for a little feedback. Anything at all. Any tweaks to the mix that you would make?

Comments

pcrecord Fri, 10/27/2017 - 17:53

Does the key change in the intro ?? it sounds weird
Or maybe it's just because the vocal is a bit pitchy...

Again poor high frequencies but soundcloud's fault I guess.

I agree, this mix is a lot better.
I think the snare is a bit thin but it cuts through so it's a good thing.
The china cymbal starting at 0:25 is punching alone.. I would remove it or make another instrument punch with it (at least I'd try it) Or you could wash a crash instead..)

DonnyThompson Sat, 10/28/2017 - 04:41

Not for nothin', but I really wouldn't rely on SC to present your material for mixing critiques.
I suppose it's fine for musical arrangement or performance proofing, to get feedback on whether certain chords, or sections will work, and similarly in that regard, is fine for writing collaborations, sending ideas back and forth..., but to rely on that service as a way to check for engineering stuff, it's not a level of fidelity that most serious studio cats are used to... It's hard to critique for things like EQ and GR when the format itself degrades the sonics of the mix to the degree that it so commonly does, and embeds lossy and phasey sounding artifacts that aren't in your actual mix.
Using RO'S built-in uploading feature, and media player - while still not the same resolution as a hi-res Wav file - is still far better than relying on a streaming site's data compression codec that degrades the audio to such obvious degrees. I won't even listen to SC files anymore, because it's lack of sonic integrity is so misleading.
Anyway... If you decide to upload your file directly here, at a res of 250kbps or better, I'll be glad to give it a decent, concentrated listen through my studio monitors, and then let you know what I think. :)
FWIW
-d.

DonnyThompson Sun, 10/29/2017 - 13:28

I'd say you're very close, any particular change I would suggest is very small, and completely subjective. Maybe a bump on the bass down around 60hz, and perhaps a bit of bite on bass at 3-4K.
It sounds very good. I still haven't listened to the SC version - but I'm willing to bet blind that it didn't sound anything like this one. ;)
-d.

DonnyThompson Mon, 10/30/2017 - 04:38

bouldersound, post: 453801, member: 38959 wrote: If you use SC, upload wav files and let the site convert. If you upload mp3 the site will re-convert it, causing substantial degradation.

Boulder - I remember trying that - uploading a 44/24 Wav file ...but I still heard wizzly phase stuff happening, especially in the top end; things like cymbals and upper presence and air frequencies on vocals were "swirly", and sibilance was harsh. I dunno, maybe it works for some, but it didn't for me.
The thing is, I even contacted SC about it, and they acknowledged that those issues were indeed there, but they also said they weren't planning on doing anything about it, either. The jist of their reply, reading between the lines was, "what do you want for free?". Lol. Anyway, I don't use it anymore. If I'm sharing here on RO there's really no need to because of the built in media player. ;)
FWIW
-d.

DonnyThompson Mon, 10/30/2017 - 05:33

Kerfoot32, post: 453805, member: 45659 wrote: Alright I'm posting one more just to make sure I didn't overdo the bass. You guys are awesome.

[MEDIA=audio]https://recording.o…

I'll take a listen when I'm able to listen thru my studio monitors. But keep in mind that these are just our own opinions. When I suggested working with the bass track a bit, these were just things that I would do...that doesn't mean I'm "right", or that you have to do things we might suggest. Follow your own vision. ;)
-d.

Kerfoot32 Mon, 10/30/2017 - 10:08

DonnyThompson, post: 453809, member: 46114 wrote: I'll take a listen when I'm able to listen thru my studio monitors. But keep in mind that these are just our own opinions. When I suggested working with the bass track a bit, these were just things that I would do...that doesn't mean I'm "right", or that you have to do things we might suggest. Follow your own vision. ;)
-d.

Yeah I know, but I'm still learning and when you guys give me suggestions it opens my eyes to some tricks I might not have been aware of. I wouldn't have been able to tell you what frequency to bump to give bass more "bite." But I tried what you suggested and I like what I'm hearing, I feel like it might be easy for me to overdo it because I'm still learning. But all of the responses here have been very valuable and always help me improve long term.

bouldersound Mon, 10/30/2017 - 11:13

DonnyThompson, post: 453807, member: 46114 wrote: Boulder - I remember trying that - uploading a 44/24 Wav file ...but I still heard wizzly phase stuff happening, especially in the top end; things like cymbals and upper presence and air frequencies on vocals were "swirly", and sibilance was harsh. I dunno, maybe it works for some, but it didn't for me..

True, but it's even worse when uploading something that's already been compressed.

kmetal Mon, 10/30/2017 - 13:59

sounds good over here. I’d still like to hear a bit more guitar, but that’s just me. It’s doesnt sound out of the range of tolerance for a mix, just a tad soft to my ears. Could be my lack of proper monitoring.

You may want to try grabbing the ‘mix engineers handbook’ by bobby owinski. I found it to be a great resource and kept it next to the console for a couple years after reading it. An excellent reference.

http://www.bobbyowsinski.com/mixing-engineers-handbook.html

Kerfoot32 Mon, 10/30/2017 - 15:25

kmetal, post: 453817, member: 37533 wrote: sounds good over here. I’d still like to hear a bit more guitar, but that’s just me. It’s doesnt sound out of the range of tolerance for a mix, just a tad soft to my ears. Could be my lack of proper monitoring.

You may want to try grabbing the ‘mix engineers handbook’ by bobby owinski. I found it to be a great resource and kept it next to the console for a couple years after reading it. An excellent reference.

http://www.bobbyowsinski.com/mixing-engineers-handbook.html

I hear you man, how's this? I feel like anymore washes the vox.

[MEDIA=audio]https://recording.o…

Attached files

XXX.mp3 (4.5 MB) 

Tags

x

Register