Skip to main content

I'm looking to replace my 10-year-old Tannoy System 8 NFM IIs with something that has a little more bottom end and is a little flatter across the critical 1K-3K band.

I went to GC in Sherman Oaks, CA today and listened to what they had set up in that price range:

1. JBL 6328Ps
2. Event ASP8s
3. Mackie 824s
4. KRK V8s
5. Alesis 820 DSPs

They also had Dynaudio Air 20 3-ways for something like $6000 (one can dream, right?)

Here were my impressions:
1. JBLs - my 2nd-place choice, possibly TOO much bottom; you could really feel the bass in your chest. Even though these are only rated to 50hz (+/- 1.5db) and are supposedly down 10db at 37hz, they still seemed to have the most chest-thumping bottom.

2. Events - seemed a bit scooped in the low-mids to me; I'll listen again somewhere else just because they've gotten such good reviews. I found it odd that they're rated to 35hz, but the JBLs blew them away for solid bottom end.

3. Mackie 824 - I really didn't like these; I didn't the first time I heard them several years ago, either; they sounded boxy compared to all the others. I actually a/b'ed them with the 624s and liked the sound of the 624's better. The 624s didn't sound boxy. Maybe the 824s were set incorrectly or something, but they were clearly the worst of the bunch that I auditioned.

4. V8s - not quite my cup of tea. They didn't seem transparent in the mids and highs. They might be fatiguing as they seemed a bit strident.

5. 820DSPs - these were the sleepers - I really liked them; I hadn't even planned on listening to them because they didn't carry that "pro studio" name brand and were at the lower end of my price range, but both me and another guy who was auditioning monitors both felt that except for the JBLs, these sounded punchier, as well as cleaner in the mid/highs. The fact that you can make them sound close to NS10s at the flip of a switch was a bonus. You could also make them emulate Auratones or have a "smiley" curve.

I still want to listen to the Blue Sky's System Ones, but none of the dealers in my area who stock them are open on Saturdays (bummer!), so that will have to wait.

Does anyone who has HEARD the Alesis 820DSPs have any opinions on them? Was this first impression something that will wear off over extended usage? Does anyone here own a pair?

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Sun, 03/06/2005 - 10:06

These are actually what I ended up buying after much looking around... Notice i didnt' say debating. I was originally looking at the 720s(I was at Guitar Center). Then I went to another Guitar Center who had a better sound proof studio etc setup.

They had all the zillion different pairs, but they had some that were hooked up to protools and some hooked up to soundforge and some other different tools on the mac/pc

I listened to them with my own vocals/background and the music genre/type that I love (pop-opera, opera, classical) and Honestly fell in love with them. My wife heard them also and didn't know a name yet, or really care since she is just there to make sure I dont pick out things that when I could sing made my personal playbacks sound horrible.

Anyway... Just LOVED them...

Just wish I could use them more now...

anonymous Mon, 03/07/2005 - 06:20

I recently bought a pair of Genelec 8030 and a 7050A sub. Outstanding sound (separation, stereo-image, mid-range... everything) and outstanding value. Very happy with them. I also had a Genelec-guy over at my studio measuring, analyzing, calibrating and finding the right spot and setting for the sub. Now the system has flat freq. response ! (I was pretty close even before the analysis :) )

Please check them out, they´re brilliant. I mix with more confidence since I got them.

anonymous Mon, 03/28/2005 - 19:12

Well I went with my instincts (hopefully a good choice) and ordered the DSP 820's should be here any day now these are my first pair of of monitors for my first studio...I'll be sure to give a review in the next 6 months,lol why so long cause 1 Im a newb and have no experience 2 Don't have any finsihed material to mix and 3 I still don't have any thing to plug them into so I need to get a mixer and interface b4 I can even get a feel for them.All I know is that my DSP 820's,RME Multiface and 1402 VLZ pro will be a HUGE inprovement over my $100 logictech's and onboard sound,lol.I can't wait!!!!