Skip to main content

I'm having a lot of difficulty with my G4 with my MOTU stuff running 10.3.2 os. Half of the time, the cpu doesn't "see" the 424 card on boot up. Completely randomly, as far as I can tell. When it does, DP4 "unexpectedly" quits on me. It's not even the MOTU software that it does this with, either.
Now, I'm no computer wizard... actually I hate them, but it seems to me that it has something to do with 10.3.2... right?
Anyone having these problems?
Should I just buy RADAR?

Topic Tags

Comments

Mumbles Mon, 08/30/2004 - 21:03

Thanks. Yeah, everything is as it's "supposed" to be...
I've just been hearing a lot about how os10 doesn't really play nice with G4's... of course, niether Mac or MOTU would tell you that since they're trying to push product and all.
My old system (G3/os8.whatever/dp2.7) worked great... untill I updated to os9 and dp3. So I figured G3 with os8... G4 with os 9... and G5 with os10. Seemed logical enough, but Mac said,"NO!! You must use the most current operating system!!" and then MOTU said, "NO!! You must have DP4!!!"
I'm not buying a G5 just so my system works like it's supposed to. I own a mobile studio and those G5's are damn heavy.

maintiger Tue, 08/31/2004 - 08:23

I have 10.3 running Digital performer with a motu 828 ii it is steady as a rock. I used to have some problems back in system 9 but no more. As far as motu support goes, I've never have any trouble with them not getting back to me right away. (as long as you are the registered owner of the hardware opr the software) I usually e-mail them in the evenong and by the following morning I have an answer. Try them:

support@motu.com

anonymous Tue, 08/31/2004 - 09:05

I also run a G4, DP4 and 828 w/ no problems. It appears there are some issues w/ MOTU PCI cards and 10.3.

I've seen several threads of frustrated 324/424 users describing similar stability issues, phone calls to MOTU support, complex installation procedures, and so on. Unfortunately, they don't offer any solutions.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Good luck!

gallilama

anonymous Thu, 09/02/2004 - 20:02

I had some issues running DP4—like older DP3 projects (that ran just fine in DP3 on the same computer) causing cpu spiking in DP4, and audio drop-outs. I dug deeper into this and the result was an article on optimizing OSX, called "Tracking The Big Cats". It is in the September issue of Electronic Musician. The results were tested on a PowerBook 667 Mhz, a Dual 1 Ghz G4 and a Dual 2 Ghz G5—with the Dual machines having a 1.5 Gigaflop speed boost and the PowerBook able to run nearly twice as many tracks as before.

While not a panacea for all hardware/software issues (but then what is?), many problems are handled when the computer can process the data faster.

All the Best,
Jim Bates

maintiger Fri, 09/10/2004 - 10:13

Motu does respond promptly to e-mails- I've had issues before that have been resolved satidfactoraly via e-mail- Digital performer forums are also very helpful- I used to belong to unicornation but unfortunately that had been down for quita a while. There are others out there, though. like:

http://

Big daddy is a great help out there with DP issues- don't hesitate to ask him. perhaps one day we'll start a DP forum here at RO but that time hasn't come yet- try Big Daddy for now.