Skip to main content

Hi! My subject pretty much sums it up. I've been using AT 4041's for this application but thought I'd like to try a LD condenser and since I already own 1 4033 I was thinking about picking up another and trying them instead. Any of you folks using/have used 4033's in this manner? If so how do you like them as drum OH mics? Thanks very much in advance!
Bob Green
Area 51 Recording Studio

Comments

RecorderMan Mon, 07/22/2002 - 08:05

Originally posted by area51recording:
Hi! My subject pretty much sums it up. I've been using AT 4041's for this application but thought I'd like to try a LD condenser and since I already own 1 4033 I was thinking about picking up another and trying them instead. Any of you folks using/have used 4033's in this manner? If so how do you like them as drum OH mics? Thanks very much in advance!
Bob Green
Area 51 Recording Studio

Honetsly haen't used them. But, 1.have heard good things about them. 2. As youi've said you already have one...so you're have wy to a pair (a good rule for mic ownership) 3. I'd say get it.

RecorderMan Wed, 07/24/2002 - 07:39

Originally posted by your add here!:
My main grevience is not with the mics but with some drummer's choice of cymbals.

Yeah...I hear you. The "rule of opposites" will help you on that. You need a pair of large diaphram condensers, small diaphram condensers and ribbons (the beyer'sor fostex being the cheapest probably being the cheapest; but for just inder $2k you canget a matched set of royer 121's....my choice). When you have these three set's you'll be ready for any cymbals that hit the place.
If some one brings in some dirty and dull sounding zildjian'z you'd use the bright small diaphram condensers. If they bring in some newly polished paiste's then you'd probably go for the mellower royer's to counteract the bright cymbals. The point being...counter a bright sound with a darker mic, and a dark source with a bright mic, ect. I know this means spending some bread ( the beyer and fostex ribbon's will be closer to $1k) but it'll fix this problem.

so to recap:
you need to get in youre aresenal:
Three pairs of mics:
1. Pair of large diaphram condensers.
2. Pair of small diaphram condensers.
3. Pair of ribbons.

KurtFoster Sun, 07/28/2002 - 07:32

I have a pair of these things and I love them. I think they are probably the closest thing to an alll purpose mic around. I've used them as overheads on drums, tom mics, on bass cabs, guitar cabs, acoustic guitar and oh yeah vocals. My only gripe is I bougt these things a while back when they were listing for $650.00 and now the street price is around $300.00. By all means get another one, at that price it's hard to go wrong... Fats