Skip to main content

Hello everyone just signed up so forgive me if its already been talked about!

Basically my hifi died, ive been using my hifi and rubbish speakers for monitoring and home djing, so need a replacement. (therefore it follows I am used to very poor recording conditions)

I have 200GBP max to spend on an alternative, and have been looking into the B2030A truth active monitors. Ive owned Behringer before, I had a mixer of theirs a while back which suffered with sound leakage, however i read a review on this product which seemed pretty positive

http://www.tcmagazine.info/articles.php?action=show&id=50&perpage=1&pagenum=2

(too positive to be true?)

anyway what i wanted to ask has anyone used these before and got first hand experience, I dont need to hear the usual (avoid them they melt as soon as you plug them in) i need the facts! so I can make a decision.
Alternatively, within the price range can anyone suggest another solution?

Thanks in advance and I hope I dont come across as being an arse, just looking for the facts :)

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Mon, 03/07/2005 - 10:16

heheh...do the research...Behringer monitors generally get good reviews.

The 2030As, in particular, were in such demand world-wide that it took Behringer almost a year from the time they were first announced to get a first shipment to US vendors...they couldn't manufacture enough to supply world demand .. everyone was taking pre-orders...people were on waiting lists for months.

heheh...all those crap lovers....:lol:

anonymous Mon, 03/07/2005 - 17:34

Your not going to get a good response about Behringer from these boards at all

They are inexpesive equipment, so they don't measure up to some people standards. My brother runs into this at school, he is studing to be a sound engineer, and some of the snotty kids who have all the money in the world treat him like s**t because he has SOME behringer equipment, I don't like people like that at all, and I'm hearing it from some people on these boards

If you have a young kid who wants to start recording and asks about Behringer, yeah he could do ALOT better, but to get a mini mixer for like $100 for him to fart around with, and then to come here and get s**t on for it is not OK

The behringer monitors, from what I have read, are pretty good, are they as good as $1000 pair, no, but in the price range you cannot get anything close

I have owned and enjoyed Behringer equipment, if it wasn't for them I would have never been able to record anything, I would have just paid for my overpriced Mackie

There is alot of undue hate here for Behringer

I'm not saying its great quality stuff, I'm saying it has its purpose for us poor people to learn how to record on something, then as we save up, we move up, just understand

I think I'm going to buy something from Behringer right now in fact

anonymous Mon, 03/07/2005 - 21:36

heheh...Yamaha MSP5s?...who the hell are you kidding?

What extensive research prompted you to buy these?....plop up some URLs so we can all share this indepth research!

I won't hold my breath waiting.

Titanium tweeters suck, pard...take a look at the designs of thousand-dollar-plus monitors...no titanium tweeters there.

I'm sure there are many who think any monitor that sells for less than a grand is pure crap.

So yours would certainly qualify....:lol:

kingfrog Mon, 03/07/2005 - 22:33

I agree . The only reason for the Yamahas is the demise of the beloved NSM10 becasue they cannot get the woofer material any more and so many producers know that box. They had to release the new version for old producers. LOL

And Behringer stuff is not all that bad. And one can make recordings good enough for most people's ears with that stuff and in the end those are the people you need to make your recording's for...not other producers or engineers.

sproll Tue, 03/08/2005 - 06:09

moonz wrote: heheh...Yamaha MSP5s?...who the hell are you kidding?

What extensive research prompted you to buy these?....plop up some URLs so we can all share this indepth research!

I won't hold my breath waiting.

Titanium tweeters suck, pard...take a look at the designs of thousand-dollar-plus monitors...no titanium tweeters there.

I'm sure there are many who think any monitor that sells for less than a grand is pure crap.

So yours would certainly qualify....:lol:

You guys think you're all so smart, that's what is really funny. If you actually read this board and absorbed what is in it, you'd find lots of information.

(Dead Link Removed)

In case the link doesnt work, go to Pro Audio Reviews and scroll down til you see the MSP-5's reviewed by Moderator Kurt Foster. This is all but ONE article I found on these.

I bought my used MSP-5's for 450 Canadian on Ebay. CHEAPER than new Behringers. Now run along and pay more money for a piece of junk... sounds like the smart thing to do to me. :roll:

Bottom line: Behringer is CHEAP gear, not BUDGET gear. Budget gear is half decent, but relatively inexpensive. Cheap gear is inexpensive and junk. Myself, I would rather save and buy something a little more expensive but much better in the long run. To each his own I guess.

sproll Fri, 03/11/2005 - 05:26

In my defense I think moonz asked for it. If he had've been more civil to me, then I would have most kindly passed him the link with a smiley face or two. Instead he opted to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about and that I didn't do any research on either set of monitors.

Do onto others man. If you're gonna come on here and rip me up, then I'm not gonna be a pushover - I'm going to defend myself.

And for the record, see that smiley on my post where I said Behringer was crap? That means, "I don't like them... but don't take me too seriously when I say they're crap". Then I posted about the monitors I think that are great, along with the price you can expect to get them at, and where to find them. Then after that, I posted a link to a review by Kurt Foster of the monitors.

All in all I think I gave some good info on here. If people didn't attack me and we could all get along, maybe you wouldn't see those harsh words being posted. Just my 2 cents.

drumist69 Fri, 03/11/2005 - 19:48

for what its worth...

... I recently bought a pair of Event TR-5 powered monitors for $300 US. I love them. I think, for me, just starting out in recording, they were a good buy. They have nice tight bass, seem to represent the frequency range of my music well. Check into these for a decent pair of powered "budget" monitors.

moinho Sun, 04/17/2005 - 13:15

speakers

finding speakers is (apart from being about faithful reproduction, reliable engineering and all that stuff) about your application and about personal taste.

If I get this right, you want something you can use for your home hifi as well as for your recording ventures. This makes it a little bit harder...

But still, find a dealer which carries the speakers you're thinking about, and then take your time listening to them. bring cds you know. Take long listening runs on one set of speakers. Do they bring out "hidden flaws" in the recording you might know about (or you might not have known about before...)? Are they tiresome to your ears and mind? Do you feel comfortable with the sound?

Your price range of 200 pounds...that's for the pair or for one speaker? If it's for the piece, I'd suggest you save just a little bit more and get a pair of Dynaudio BM5A - which I personally love and will buy the moment I can decide that I need them more than a KSP8, a Modular G2 and a few great mics ;)

And again - as always - LET YOUR EARS BE THE JUDGE!

Rainer