Skip to main content

Hi!

Does anyone have any soundclips of acoustic music recorded with the ECM8000? I'd need handfull of omnis for a experiment, and since the ECM is so cheap it could be interesting.

Comments

ghellquist Fri, 04/22/2005 - 09:53

JJanson,
actually Karl recording is an excellent example of how good the ECM-s do sound. They are definitely a lot better sounding than the price. They have two notable problems, first is that they are a bit on the noise side of things. But listen to Karls recording and tell me that it bothers you (me, not). Secondly they might not be the first choice in overhead micing of rock drums because their maximum SPL is not really that high. Apart from this, the difference to next price level is not really that big in sound.

Gunnar.

zemlin Fri, 04/22/2005 - 09:59

RE noise - my recording went through some pretty heavy noise reduction. You can hear a cyclical rattling - that's the AC system running - the part of the noise I couldn't remove - you shoulda' heard it before I noise reduced it.

I often use the Behringers for room mics - the room is always a lot noisier than the mics.

I just thought of another recording I have that was just the behringers. I was having some car trouble and wanted to send a mechanic a good sounding file so they could get a better feel for what was happening. This is a pretty low bitrate MP3. Same arrangement - mics spaced 27" - about 10' from the car, 6' up.

http://www.cheap-tracks.com/mp3/zemlin_cranky.mp3
:P

The car's fine now, btw.

JoeH Fri, 04/22/2005 - 15:15

Well, at that price, they're certainly worth a listen.

I personally have a lot of problems with the Behringer line of products in general (with their reverse-enginnering, etc), but the price seems silly/stupid/cheap not to have a set for whatever emergency may arise. Plus, you CAN use them for close-up/omni work, if necessary, and at that point, you'll get better perceived S/N out of them. (As opposed to mic'ing an entire room, etc.)

x

User login