Skip to main content

While at Guitar Center I tracked some samples using each on their setup. It is way too hard to tell which to get. Could someone contrast a bit for me? I will be walking out of here with one or the other today.

Thanks guys!

Edit: I ended up buying the Chameleon. Let's see how it works out. Also, what do you all think of it?

Topic Tags

Comments

AudioGaff Thu, 09/20/2007 - 17:20

Most likely too late, but I would of told you to get the Chamelon because with it's eq, it would likley be a better all in one box for your needs present and future.

Got also spank you on the not being so wise as to have done some homework research on what you are going to buy way ahead, rather than while your shopping in real time and basing your purchase decision on quick posting results. You must have a lot faith and trust in the opinions of users around here. That can be risky, but I guess that's a good thing to be able to rely on.

JesterMasque Fri, 09/21/2007 - 09:23

Do not spank me too hard, lol. I did a lot of research on the UA and the Focusrite single/dual channel strips, but I have never heard of the Chameleon.

In the end I did go with the Chameleon because I will be using it not only for vocals, but also for bass and guitar. Although it is transformer driven, it is still class A wiring and I think it will give me the crisper, tighter sound that I need for the instruments than the tube (in this price range anyway).

But yes, I do trust people's opinion on here a lot, especially you, Cucco, Davedog, Remy, all the big RO names you know, lol.

Cucco Fri, 09/21/2007 - 12:23

Well...I agree with Gaff! Spankings all around for trusting people and not doing too much research (we'll let Remy administer the spankings...)

However, KUDOS to you for going and actually trying it out before buying it. I've used the CL stuff exactly once before in my life for 5 minutes also at a GC. From what I could tell, I was quite impressed, especially for the price. Of course, you can only tell so much in a guitar center!

Enjoy!

J

JesterMasque Mon, 09/24/2007 - 23:45

Small change of plan...
I decided to return the 7602 and I ordered a 7622. It is the same preamp, except it is doubled without any EQ. I decided this for two (and a half) main reasons:
1/2: It is the same price as the 7602.
1: I have no need for the EQ since I am absolutely satisfied with my Waves Q and Renaissance.
2: If I am using a stereo or coincident pair or double-micing a guitar cabinet, I can use the same pre for both mics.

Davedog Tue, 09/25/2007 - 16:45

Having had an oportunity at times to 'dink' around with 'real' Neve preamps,as well as higher end clones, I agree with Gaff completely. Having 'dinked' around with the Chameleon 7602, I gotta say the EQ is fantastic and for a 'poor mans' Nevealike unit, this one is hands down the best value on the market. Many many reviews for this can be found throughout the recording BB's. Some folks are not too high on the build quality, though from what I gather, these are folks who have things up and running 24/7 and dont have time for something to be down as well as being rather hard on any unit that makes the rack.

I think you've made the right move.

JesterMasque Wed, 09/26/2007 - 16:58

Davedog wrote: Having had an oportunity at times to 'dink' around with 'real' Neve preamps,as well as higher end clones, I agree with Gaff completely. Having 'dinked' around with the Chameleon 7602, I gotta say the EQ is fantastic and for a 'poor mans' Nevealike unit, this one is hands down the best value on the market. Many many reviews for this can be found throughout the recording BB's. Some folks are not too high on the build quality, though from what I gather, these are folks who have things up and running 24/7 and dont have time for something to be down as well as being rather hard on any unit that makes the rack.

I think you've made the right move.

:D

Wow, thanks Davedog! I have always had this [possibly skewed] view of you as one of the hardest people on this board to please. In the studio I used to work at over the summer we had a Neve that I got to work with twice. When I heard the Chameleon I definitely heard certain similaries that made it worth while. Not as similar as most would like to advertise, but a solid sounding preamp none-the-less.

Also, I will not be running this thing 24/7. Probably no more than six hours a day, so...