Skip to main content

I am recording from an AKG 1000s microphone into a dbx preamp. Also using a Kurzwel K2500.

What setting are needed on the various inputs and outputs on the back of the dbx preamp. there is achoice of dbV and dBu (-10 and =4)

in particular,

1. What is needed on the input from the Kurzweil?

2. What is needed from the dbx pream to the Tascam-428? ie -10 or + 4? Since the dbx only appears to handle one audio stream by switching between inputs do I need dedicated outputs for each input to the dbx pream?

Can I go with just one cable to the Tascam or do I have to have each type ie XLR for the mike and another type of cable for path of the Kurzweil when that is passing through the dbx preamp.

I am hoping to be able to use three mikes for recording drums, using one mike to the dbx, coming out, not in XLR but in one of the other output jacks and into the channels C or D ont the 428.

This way I could plug two other mikes into the XLR inputs A and B of the 428.

I would appreciate any advice on all or part of this.

i can be e-mailed at Mac.com">med007Mac.com.

Comments

anonymous Tue, 01/15/2002 - 10:09

1. What is needed on the input from the Kurzweil?

A decent input level Seriously, that's what the meters on the dbx are for.

2. What is needed from the dbx pream to the Tascam-428? ie -10 or + 4??

The US-428 can see -10 at the line inputs, or +4 at the XLR inputs.

Since the dbx only appears to handle one audio stream by switching between inputs do I need dedicated outputs for each input to the dbx pream?

The 576 is a mono piece...you'd need to connect one device at a time.

Can I go with just one cable to the Tascam or do I have to have each type ie XLR for the mike and another type of cable for path of the Kurzweil when that is passing through the dbx preamp.

I'd say you need different cables.

I am hoping to be able to use three mikes for recording drums , using one mike to the dbx, coming out, not in XLR but in one of the other output jacks and into the channels C or D ont the 428.

This way I could plug two other mikes into the XLR inputs A and B of the 428.

Well, you could certainly do this, though I'm not sure how it'll all blend sonically.