Skip to main content

Hi,
I'm looking for another reverb. And I'm just looking for opinions on this, before I get some rack-digi-multi-crap like everyone else. Like tape machines, it's probably going to be a pain in the ass, but will the result will be worth it? Or is this completely insane, I record in my basement!
I'd appreciate to hear anyone's experience working with the EMT 140 reverb. thanks
peace,
tl

Comments

FX Sat, 01/05/2002 - 02:53

I've always liked the sound of the 140. The biggest problem you may have is that it is about the size of a queen size mattress on it's side and it will need VERY good solid ground to sit on as they are extremely sensitive to vibrations. I remember waiting to put mixes onto tape in the gaps between the underground trains passing a few hundred feet away. Moderate acoustic isolation is also fairly important.

There are valve and transistor variants and naturally the valve ones are more desirable.

Original remote meters and controls are hard to come by and a pain to wire up. Tuning the springs on the plate is as I recall a bit trial and error but worth the effort. Large swings in temperature can change the sound a bit, but once the plate is set up they are very reliable and have that characteristic sound. If it's that sound you are after and can afford the space then why not. Alternative you could get the Sony DRE-S777 which I think is the duck's nuts. But then it should be for about £8+k with all the options and CD's.

Good luck
:)

drumsound Sun, 01/06/2002 - 21:32

Originally posted by Ted Nightshade:
So on the subject of "real chambers", who has any proven designs? We're basically talking a monitor or two playing back into a live room into one or more mics? Or what?
Ted

That's what I've done on occasion. Bob Clearmountain converted a wine cellar into two chambers. He has a Mackie HR824 and a pair of mics (AKG 451?) in each. :cool:

miketholen Tue, 01/08/2002 - 05:20

anyone here ever work at Fantasy in Berkely CA.?
I've worked there a bit and I fell in love with their chambers. they are the smoothest thing I've ever heard. NOTHING comes close.
My Quantec QRS is almost there but...
the chambers themselves were about 15'x20' (just an estimate) and had a speaker facing one end and 2 mics facing the other.
at the time we were using a pair of KM54's!!!
most of the time though they just use some AKG 460's.
the 54's were still set up from Roger Waters sessions.

Guest Thu, 01/10/2002 - 02:31

Sonic Youth have a Demeter Spring reverb unit at their studio. I think it is a digital simulator. Either way I heard it there and it sounded great. Seemed like the sound of Exile on Main St by the stones! (AKG spring?)

Anyhow it had a long and short reverb, each MONO! (ulp!)

I want one

:)

Ted Nightshade Fri, 01/11/2002 - 13:47

Hot damn, bowlegged man! Spring reverb sounds very appealing. I once was in a situation where a super cheap (too cheap) DOD spring reverb just did it for a vocal after we'd been messing with the Lexicon, etc. all day.
The best one I've had a chance to play with were out of an old Hammond A-100. Very lush, smooth and full frequency, not the real obvious spring twang like in a guitar amp. The one I was using were just pulled right out of the Hammond, it would be cool to have some racked up and ready for whatever...
Apparently some are much more appropriate for general use than others, having to do with the tidyness of the box (some are just hanging there) and the input/output ohmage.
I've heard these are used in Polytone jazz guitar amps.
I get the impression that this Demeter is pretty spendy, I'll have to look it up. Digital reverb has never really sent me...
Ted

x

User login