Skip to main content

If I could get you guys to give your opinions on each, that'd be great. I just bought the 7506 b/c I'd heard so much about it, but the guy at Guitar Center recommended the ATH-M40's. I went w/what I had heard about, but should I go back and exchange this 7506?

I'm going to college tomorrow so I wanted some headphones to listen to while I track guitars (through AmpliTube. ) and listen to music late at night. So I will mainly be using these headphones for tracking and listening to music. I'm bringing a stereo w/me, so I'll do most of the mixing on there and hten just take my mixes everywhere and try 'em out.

So that's what I'm looking for in a set of headphones...did I make the right choice?

Thanks,

Rohan

p.s. I don't particularly want to mix on these.

Comments

anonymous Sat, 08/21/2004 - 23:22

You are perfectly fine with the Sonys.

They are the most accurate, translateable phones I have ever owned.

Next time you are watching the special features on a DVD, take a look at what the sound techs and producers/directors are wearing.
9 times out of 10, they will be the Sonys. They are industry standard in both film and commercial music.

anonymous Mon, 08/30/2004 - 20:40

I currently own the Audio Technica M40s, among others. I use these as my main tracking headphones. I don't do any mixing with headphones. I have used Sony 7506s extensively in the past for tracking and mixing (remote mixing). I found the Sonys to be extremely great at translating. I personally haven't found a better set of headphones at translating. That's the good about the Sony's. Here's the bad.

IMO, the Sony's were hard on my ears. The high end is... very present. Directly compared to the Audio Technica's, I couldn't wear the Sony's for too long due to the high end. I wear the M40s for long periods of time without complaint. My only complaint as far as comfort with the M40s is the tightness of the headband. It's not bad, just not as as open as the Sonys. The sound of the M40s, however, is far more pleasing and balanced to my ears than the Sonys... but the proof in the pudding is that the Sonys simply translate better if you're primarily mixing with them.

x

User login