Skip to main content

Hi there guys, i really need some help, this is my first attempt at going fully digital, my previous setup was anoolog outs from my 2 Mackie onyx 800r units into delta 1010 pci soundcards. i have now bought a M-audio Profire Lightbridge and need help syncing everything as i am pretty new to all this.

What i would like to do is set up my 2 Mackie onyx 800r units via ADAT into my profire lightbridge and then the lightbridge via firewire into either pc or mac.

I have connected the ADAT as follows: i believe its called smux mode, ch 1-4 out on Mackie to input 1 on profire. ch 5 - 8 out on Mackie to channel two input on profire and the 2nd 800r unit the same into profire ADAT inputs 3 and 4.

i do not know how to sync this setup and when i record I'm getting bursts of digital "white" noise here and there, is this because i have not set the word clock correctly? can anyone please help me to set this up properly.

and explain to me what settings to use in the driver panel of the profire and on the 800r units and how i should wire the word clock.

Thank you in advance.

Topic Tags

Comments

Boswell Thu, 02/12/2009 - 04:41

You have the data hooked up correctly, now it's just a matter of getting the clocking right. Since the 800Rs only have a wordclock in and not a wordclock out, they have to be clocked from the Lightbridge. You will need two 75 Ohm BNC cables of appropriate length, two 75 Ohm BNC T-pieces and a 75 Ohm BNC terminator.

Use the breakout cable supplied with the Lightbridge and plug it into the rear-panel multipin connector. Run a BNC cable from the Lightbridge Wordclock Out to a BNC T-piece attached to the Wordclock in of one of the 800Rs. Take the other BNC cable from the other side of the first T-piece to the second T-piece on the Wordclock in of the other 800R. Place the 75 Ohm BNC terminator on the free end of the second T-piece.

Select external (wordclock) on both the 800Rs. Use the default of internal clock on the Lightbridge. The Lighbridge clock should appear on the Wordclock Out, and all should be synchronized.

Boswell Mon, 02/23/2009 - 04:44

Skinflint wrote: hi Boswell, I just want to confirm.... The onyx 800r has a termination switch on it, is it still nec to use a Bnc terminator? Can't I just use the terminator switch on the last onyx slave, and then I also woudnt need a 2nd t bnc? Thanks

Yes, that would be OK if you are careful. I like to use T-pieces with external terminators so that all the pieces of gear are set the same (unterminated). In that way I can re-route the wordclock cable according to what is needed for a particular recording without having to worry about settings of switches.

x

User login