Skip to main content

O.K., so I am working up an entry which I will think about submitting to the contest, but here is my question.

My current audio interface (Saffire 6 USB, a simple but respectable sounding unit) has only two inputs, and the inputs obviously have preamps built in. Let's say I bought an ADL 600 (since the chances of anyone's first recorded song winning are slI'm to be sure) how would I take advantage of the ADL preamps if they have to go through my existing preamps? It seems to me that there might be a build up of noise of two distinct preamps, but then I'm also wondering if the noise floor is sufficiently diminished if I'm able to keep the gain very low on the Saffire, thus allowing the ADL to do its job.

I would be grateful for any insight as to whether one could take advantage of a vastly better preamp when it still has to pass through another preamp stage inside the audio interface.

Topic Tags

Comments

Boswell Wed, 12/01/2010 - 02:41

If you have your mind set on getting a better pre-amp such as an ADL 600, your best plan is to treat the Saffire in the short/medium term as a moderate-quality A-D converter. You will notice the difference in sound quality by having the ADL, and noise will not be a problem, in fact, your noise levels at the microphone inputs should be lower than at present. Believe me, there are far worse USB ADC interfaces around than the Saffire. As a note, you may need to fit attenuators between the ADL outputs and the Saffire TRS inputs so you can use respectable output levels on the ADL.

Get some work and experience with the combination under your belt, although you will be limited by having only two inputs. In weeks/months/years you will have learnt what you like about the system you have and what you would change. If you then went for a good FireWire interface unit (e.g. RME FireFace 800), your ADL pre-amps would burst into full life and you would also have additional input channels to use for other microphones or instruments.

audiokid Wed, 12/01/2010 - 08:49

NOTE:

Not to derail this topic but since you mentioned not winning the ADL 600:

I am not looking for the best recording. I am looking for someone that can record something and musical honesty, spirit and ability. The quality of your recording is not on the top of my list. The ability to actually be able to record something is. If you can write a 1 min song with the words PreSonus ADL 600, you have a chance. IMHO, everyone who has a mic and is able to speak, sing and make music has a chance. Talent is what you need to have.

Good Luck!

Back to Steve and Boswell.