Skip to main content

i started working out of my buddies studio and he has a Mackie CFX16 MKII 4 Bus Mixer 16 Channels and use Cake Walk Sonar for recording, and i am a Pro Tools guy, i was wondering how i would be able to hook up my digi 002 to his Mackie without interrupting his wiring and having to re-wire every time i use the studio ?

easier way of saying how can i put my 002 rack in line with his set up?

can i just plug it in to the Mackie via firewire and in to the computer or do i have to somehow use a y adapter for every connection or is it just easier just to unplug everything and re-wire it every time?

sorry if this isn't the right place for this question i wasn't sure where to ask...

Comments

Boswell Thu, 05/28/2009 - 08:51

As John says, the channel inserts are the only way to get individual channel direct outs from the Mackie CFX16 series. You could use a TS snake (not TRS) pushed in to the first click (risky), or a Hosa DOC106 adaptor on each channel with a TS snake. Go into the line inputs of the 002.

BUT.. what's a recording studio doing using a mixer like the CFX16? That's a budget live sound mixer, complete with Peavey-me-too effects, and it's not surprising you have trouble picking off outputs for recording. What happens when you need to track? How will you patch the necessary channels for playback? I shudder.

TheJackAttack Thu, 05/28/2009 - 14:10

The Onyx line is actually quite nice. I have a 1640 and it is very versatile.

If your buddy is already recording via firewire then your best bet is to just import his wave files into PT and mix from there. If he isn't recording via the firewire then you could set it up on your computer without any problem and do the same by using some other DAW like Tracktion or Reaper.

Otherwise, if you want a completely parallel chain you can use the DB25 recording outs and go into the line inputs of your 002. If you had a HD24XR you could do the same DB25 and use it to convert to adat and go into your 002 directily via optical.

anonymous Thu, 05/28/2009 - 14:41

ok cool
yea hes recording via firewire
and his suggestion was what you said. track into sonar and import the files into PT for editing and mixing, which i can do i'm just not a big fan of sonar and how it operates and i know PT like the back of my hand so its just a familiarity thing with me

and just doing some research on how i would be able to run my 002 parallel with his mackie

thanx for the help

hueseph Thu, 05/28/2009 - 20:22

TheJackAttack wrote: Personally I think the converters in the Onyx mixer are superior to the 002 but that's of course a matter of taste.

What I don't understand is Mackie's decision to stay with a single stereo return instead of having the option to route the returns back to channels. I'm sure there are more than a few people who would love to take advantage of the eq and mix out of the box(to tape even). Sorry. off topic.