Skip to main content

The search-thingie seems to be out of order so i hope I'm not repeating anything. Anyways.

I trie to deside what A/D D/A converter to buy.

The Terratec Phase 88 seems more atractive than the M-audio converter, and it has two mic preamp-amps in it to. But the M-Audio converter is Pro Tools compatible!

What are your views on this?
Any experience with the two different converters?

http://www.m-audio.com

and

http://www.terratecproducer.it/prodotti/phase/phase88_rack/PHOTO%20PHASE%2088%20Rack%20+%20PCI%20card.jpg

- - - - - - - - -

Think i will end up buying a Delta 1010, seeing SEVERAL on Ebay. And i think i can recall the possibility to link up to 4 units of delta 1010 with wordclock sync. That will give me 24 in and 24 out. MOhaha! kick-ass setup!

- - - - - - - - -

-HansA

Topic Tags

Comments

hociman Sun, 06/05/2005 - 10:17

Support

I just thought I'd share two things. One is that M-Audio's support is horrid. They will respond, but they will often point the finger at Apple or say "we don't support that". Terratec's support is, surprisingly, worse! I've submitted at least two requests for support on their website and have never received any response.

Then again, the Terratec product works in my system, whereas the M-Aaudio would cause a kernel panic every time.

hociman Sun, 06/05/2005 - 19:33

Not Quite

HansAm wrote: So what your saying is that you wouldnt recomend any of those :D

Not explicitly. What I'm saying is if you acquire an M-Audio interface and it doesn't work, they'll tell you that and they won't help you. If you acquire a Terratec interface and it doesn't work, they won't talk to you.

I have a Terratec Phase22 and though the S/PDIF ports don't work with Mac OS X v10.3.x for some reason, the analog outs have audio, so I'm tolerating it. Two requests for support on this issue have never been answered. The M-Audio Delta DiO 2496 I had would always cause a kernel panic with Mac OS X v10.3.x. All M-Audio would say is "we don't support your configuration", though it was clearly an M-Audio driver problem.

It seems as though the only true answer to my problem is a Power Mac G5 with that optical port. Maybe someday, but not today!