Skip to main content

I am adding another quality tube mike to my collection and was wondering if anyone out there has any experience in comparing these two mikes. I already own a Lawson 47 mp and love it. What I'm looking for is a nice mate for my Lawson that has a different tonality but close to the same quality. I guess the reason for my question is a matter of economics. The Lawson is $2500 and the peluso around $1200 to $1300. I was wondering if there is a considerable $ difference in the two.( I have read the reviews on the Peluso 2 2251 mikes and they weren't as favorable as the p 12) Is there anyone out there that can give me some strong opinions or advice on this subject?

Thanks much

Jer-Vox

Comments

Jer-vox Sat, 05/05/2012 - 06:33

Thanks for the reply Pan60.

I also own an original LAWSON 47MP that I purchased in 1999. I love this mike and so does everyone else that I record, using it on acoustic instruments and almost on anything especially on vocals. The reason I would like to get another, is to have another great sounding mike with a little more air at the top that would work better for some of the female singers that I work with. Again my Lawson does more than justice to their tracks, but being a kind of gearhead I am ready for something different to add to my locker. I've heard a lot of good reviews on the Peluso mikes and a couple of lukewarm opinions also. The question that I have on these two mikes is: Is the Lawson 251 twice as good as the Peluso p2, as the price of the Lawson is double. I could probably could purchase the Peluso now, but don't want to be dissapointed.
If I buy the Lawson I would have to wait a while, and you all know how gearheads like to wait to buy something. The smart side of me says that I should wait, unless there are some people out there that can convince me otherwise.

Thanks

Jerry

Jer-vox Mon, 05/07/2012 - 03:01

Pan60,

Thanks for the Pearlman info. From what I read about them so far the TM1 is close to my Lawson being a u47 clone. The other one -theM250 does peak my interest but is almost twice as expensive. I will definitely do some research on it as I will probably end up waitng a while to save for either something like that or another Lawson.

About 12 years ago I owned a Blueberry. It was very nice and a good vocal mike, but when I bought the Lawson I never used it again so I sold it and kept the c414 as it was in my opinion, more versatile.

Jerry

pan60 Mon, 05/07/2012 - 08:16

LOL
hard for me to sell any of my mics, i just save even if they don't see much use.
i have a Blue Blueberry ( as well as several other BLUE mics ), and really like it.
another mic i have not tried but always seem to here good about is the mic from Ben BeesNeez.
he seem like a very nice guy to boot.
lot of cool choice's out there for sure: )

Jer-vox Mon, 05/07/2012 - 11:50

I too have heard good things about the BeesNeez products, also Bock and Korby products. Although if Im not mistaken, the service from Korby is not supposed up to par . Anyways my budget would be around $2500 and since I'll be waiting, I'll have some time to explore.

So aside from the Blueberry, what other Blue mikes that you have might you recommend?

pan60 Mon, 05/07/2012 - 13:08

the Blue Dragon fly is pretty nice, at least i like it.
i have some of the RED bottle mics ( they are BLUE ) a tube and a fet one, not sure they would fit the bill? i like them but they are not the end all of mic for sure.
no experiance with Korby?
Bock make nice mics for sure but they might not be in your budget.

Jer-vox Tue, 05/08/2012 - 03:07

Thanks Pan60 for all your valuable insight and information. It sounds like you have some solid experience with good mikes. Like I said, I will probably be ready in a couple of months or so to purchase around my budget. In the meantime I will have some time to evaluate the different options that open to me. I will send a post when I finnaly make the purchase and let you know if I made the right choice.

Jerry

Jer-vox Tue, 05/08/2012 - 10:53

I too have a nice dynamic mic collection. I still own my first mic that I purchased in 1965, an original Shure 55sh when I joined my first band. Two years later I purchased a Shure PE54 and on to SM58's in the 70's, to an Audio Technica Neodiniom model in the 80's, to a Beta 58 in the 90's and Senheisers 835 and a chorded 865 to present. The one that I use nowdays to perform is My 865 which is a handheld condenser that really cuts through the mix in live situations. I also own a couple of sm57's along with a couple of Audix drum mics and a couple of Samson pencil mics that I use for drum overheads and stereo miking. As you can tell, I've been around for awhile, and I still have all of my dynamics but keep them around more for sentiment than use.