Skip to main content

Hi,

My understanding is that RME and Samplitude play nicely together but have been seeing some info re: the 800 and compatibility issues. I've checked the Samplitude website and forums but was unable to find anything specific enough to go on. This is my first venture into Samplitude (v9 pro) and I'd like to make sure I'm not going to have a lot of headaches in addition to the learning curve of the software.

I can get a great deal on the RME so I'll go for it if it will work.
Anyone using this set up?

Thanks in advance RO

Phil

Comments

FifthCircle Mon, 07/30/2007 - 20:55

ADK audio wrote: HI,
they work prefectly together!
the only issue i know with Samp is it has a 12hour clock instead of 24.
so if you are doing live work and syncing to video its an issue.

same would be if you port it to PT.

they intend to fix this in Ver 10.

Scott
ADK

This timeline length issues is due to 32 bit addressing (same as Pro Tools). To fix this requires 64 bit addressing of files. Basically it means than you have a finite number of samples in a session. Roughly 13 hours at 48K. 6 hours at 96K. If you are doing video work where you need 24 hours, just enter an offset.

I have not seen an announcement on V10. Where did you hear that this was happening? (then again, I haven't seen anything from Summer NAMM).

And to go back on topic, the FF80 and Samp should work fine together as long as the interface works on your computer. I've seen issues with this related to firewire throughput. I believe a TI chipset for FW assures compatibility. Check on the RME site, though.

--Ben

FifthCircle Tue, 07/31/2007 - 16:23

Keep the offset as a positive number. If you are recording at 8 PM, you'll want to offset by 19:00 so that you are recording 1 hour into the VIP. This will then stamp the .wav files with a 20:00 time stamp that should be able to import into any other program (they may need an offset as well- like Pro Tools for example). The only possible issue is going over the 24 hour mark. With the exception of Pyramix, from what I've seen just about any DAW is going to have issues with that.

For anybody working in post, offsets are a way of life and they should be used to dealing with them.

FWIW, I did a bit of searching and the maximum length of a session under the 32 bit addressing is 2^31 samples. Ends up being about 12 hours at 48K and 6 at 96K. (just wanted to make sure I was posting the correct info)

--Ben

pmolsonmus Thu, 08/30/2007 - 20:34

Just an update. Fireface and v9 were both plug n play. No problems except getting used to the layout and what appeared (at first look) to be a counter intuitive set up on the RME front panel. All is well now and plan to do some practice sessions in the next week as school begins. The layout makes much more sense now and I'm getting used to the matrix and mixer of the RME and beginning to get my feet wet with Samplitude.

Some very nice plug-ins in addition to what I already have with my PT set up and routing seems straight forward with my outboard gear.

Thanks for the help Ben and Scott.