Skip to main content

Hi there

New to the forum as you`ve probably guessed. My band members and I have all just clubbed together our cash to buy An Apple mac w/ Logic 7, a Focusrite Platinum Voicemaster and a Tascam FW 1884 for recording.

A friend of ours who is an experienced engineer thinks we should return the Tascam FW 1884 in favour of the MOTU 2408 and also buy some decent preamps, as he dosn`t think the converters in the Tascam nor the preamps are adequate. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as we are quite new to this and only have a few days left on the receipt to return the Tascam to the store if needs be.

Also, I`ve been told that digital compressors such as the Focusrite aren't very good either and we would be better off putting a bit extra towards an analog one. Basically at a push we could afford an extra £500 to put towards equipment so Im looking for the best all round solution.

Sorry my first post is asking for help.

Thanks

Andrew

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Thu, 06/02/2005 - 09:20

I have had the FW-1884 for about 7 months now and I love it. Works great. At the same time, I think you are always going to want to use outboard pre's. Not many boards at this price range will give you great quality pre's, but the pre's on the fw-1884 are just as good as the pre's on other boards in this range.

anonymous Fri, 06/03/2005 - 06:33

Wow, you guys have spent a lot of money......who helped you make your selections??
I'll tell you right now, as a musician, there are thousands who would love to have the setup you have right now. But no matter what you spend, or what you get, there is always going to be something "better".
You've only got 8 pres on the 1884 anyway, not enough to do a whole band right anyway.....and for the money, and all that you get, I don't think you can do much better than the 1884, without compromising something. So....my advice would be to get a unit like the behringer ADA8000. Eight pres that go out on ADAT, you hook that into you 1884, and you can record 16 tracks a whack. I mention the ADA just as an example, surely there are better pres out there. I'd use the pres on the 1884 for general stuff, like the drums, bass DI or whatever, then use a higher quality pre through the ADAT of the 1884 for vocals, and other delicate sources.

x

User login