Skip to main content

I'm looking at the 6176 and find it a great idea that you can seperate the compressor and use it with other mic preamps. Are there any other high end "Combo" / "Channel strip" type units out there that can seperate the compressor?

Comments

AudioGaff Sat, 02/07/2004 - 15:04

I love my Foucsrite Red-7. It is is an industry standard unit for voice over work and remains popular enough that Focusrite has not dropped it like some of the others in the Red range. It was the first Focusrite product I bought and it's had very heavy use on many tracks and sources. Kick and/or snare sound great through it and the exciter can add some sparkle and spank. I think it is great on all sources and just about every mic but is not really a favorite or something I use on bass. Mostly just because I have some other DI's/comps that handle bass so much better. I think the Red-7 sounds better than the new ISA re-issue stuff. The ISA stuff while having more features, just seems to be more whimppy and not as full flavored. The compressor in the Red-7 being vca, does chew the high end with heavy compression and most of the time on vocals I tend to not push it hard. Light to med use gives a very rich sound that is not so apparant until you bypass it and then wonder where the rest of the WOW factor went.

The 1176 is FET compressor and really a different sound. It has a faster, harder, more agressive and focused tone with the Red-7 being VCA is slower, rounder not quite as hard sounding. I'm not a fan of the 1176 on bass most of the time and to me, it is not as flexable or useful as many other comps are. I guess that's why I still don't own one but yet still have wanted to own one. I've had the 6176 on my lust list so I can get the 610 tube pre and 1176 comp in one box. When I really think I need the 1176 or a client is specific about using one, I get a hold of one.