Skip to main content

I want to add a couple to the collection...

Disregarding the fact that UA jacked you around...

What would you buy and why?

Thanks from and ex-Bostonian.

Comments

Guest Tue, 04/10/2001 - 18:48

Slant- Even though I think trained monkeys could do a much better job of running distribution at UA, that has zero bearing in my mind about the product. There's audio, and there is business...the two do not conflict where my opinions of the hardware are concerned, only whether or not our firm will pimp steel for them or not.

That said, I think the UA 1176 is an excellent unit. I have found it to be very true to the original 'E' and 'F' releases of the 1176...as long as the "originals" have been recently refurbished/recalibrated.

I personally prefer the MC-76. The bass is a bit deeper and clearer to me, though the metering is a tad worse [lets face it, 1176 meters all suck on their best day].

As for reliability issues, we haven't had any kind of major problems with either. You can't really go wrong with either, I just happen to prefer the tone of the Purple. Your mileage may very easily vary from that.
I was quite pleased when we carried both, I used to love to bring them both to sessions. I actually picked up the last unit the store had of the UA, just to have one. I have two Purple's in my collection...but the UA has a slightly different tone and comes in handy from time to time.

Hope that answer comes close...

Ang1970 Tue, 04/10/2001 - 19:41

Originally posted by Fletcher:
[lets face it, 1176 meters all suck on their best day].

Why do you think they suck? I've never had a problem using them to determine when a signal is present or absent. lol

And just curious, has anyone done a test to compare the sound of the purple and original 1176 meters? You know, when you turn down the mains and just hear CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK? I wouldn't buy a new one if it didn't add that "vintage" sound. :D

slantbat Tue, 04/10/2001 - 20:19

Thanks, y'all (wait, does an ex-Bostonian say y'all? Ok, Ok, I grew up in Texas, but I learned to love and play pedal steel in Boston--go figure)

Great answer--I guess I should try them both. I was leaning toward the Purple, partly because it was, well, purple. But the "true to the original E and F" has a ring to it also. I've always liked the '76 on vocals, and maybe the original is the way to go. But then the other one is, well, purple...

'preciate the advice.

Guest Fri, 04/13/2001 - 08:45

Wow, I thought the "color" thing was pretty identical, I just found the bottom on the MC-76 clearer than the UA...which stems directly from the better power supply. "Color wise" I've never found much of a difference.

As for the which to use with digital/analog...I would have to make that determination given the rest of the tones/textures on the recording, I don't think I could make a blanket statement without listening to the whole song to make an appropriate decision.

As always, YMMV.