Skip to main content

Ok, now its time to decide on the interface for my budget studio. I have the vocal booth materials made from office panels and noise reduction blankets, so it should sound reverb free.

I have a Vaio Desktop:

2.6 Pentium 4
1.5 GB RAM
80 GB Hardrive with an open slot (probably a 400GB)
256 GeForce 6200 Video Card
AA 1.5 Software (soon to be 2.0)
3 OPEN PCI SLOTS; I gutted my rig last week and saved the motherboard.

This will be for Voice Work, Deep Voice. Was going to go with a Electro-Voice RE20 or RE27 (I'll decide after I try 'em out a couple times) and a Grace 101 Pre. I do want 24/192 capability even though I won't use it 'til later (My brother is really good at the MIDI/Instument work and would have use for it now). I can learn any included software that is in english, but would like it to work well with the hardware.

Suggestions..? Below $700 is a must. Was looking at the Hammerfall HDSP 9632 or a Lynx...My main concern is having an interface that matches the MIC/PRE; not under/over classing them.

Any opinions?

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Fri, 01/27/2006 - 17:13

And yes, I understand there isn't much difference with human ears from 24/96 and 24/192. Nobody records low/mid level VO's in 24/192, but I plan on using this budget studio as a start-up to master the basics, a good interface that you can add on to and use for years.

So, I guess it comes down to how well the A/D conversion is, right? PCI inboard, outboard, OR firewire? Which Interface would be best for VO's coming from a EV RE20/RE27 and Grace 101 ? Under $700....