Skip to main content

Hi, I know little about computers. I've had an AMD 2700 computer built for CD burning from masters made on two track reel and/or mini disc. I've decided to get the M-Audio 2496 card for the computer. The guy putting the system togeather installed Windows 2000, he said windows 2000 would work just as well as Windows XP for audio, he further stated he would install XP if I thought it would be better. Since I have no technical knowledge I'd like some of your advice. XP or 2000? Thanks, Don

Topic Tags

Comments

Opus2000 Thu, 08/14/2003 - 16:47

One is not going to better over the other for CD burning.

Both are going to be just fine.

If all you are doing is burning CD's install whatever you so desire! All programs run just as well on Win2K as they do on WinXP!

Best thing to do regardless of what OS you are running is not to do a CD to CD burn. More errors become of this than anything due to disc buffering.

If you need to copy a CD make an image of it on your hard drive first than burn it to the CD!

HTH

Opus :D

anonymous Thu, 08/14/2003 - 18:54

>>Best thing to do regardless of what OS you are running is not to do a CD to CD burn. More errors become of this than anything due to disc buffering. If you need to copy a CD make an image of it on your hard drive first than burn it to the CD!

Opus: I understand that this is true but I don't really understand why disc buffering causes errors. Would you please explain?

Thanks,

drbam

Opus2000 Thu, 08/14/2003 - 20:26

Sure

When you do a disc to disc operation the data is pulled from the first disc and buffered to the hard drive first then sent to the second CD burner to be burned..during this process if anything happens, like a scheduled task or if your drive is fragmented it can cause a possible skip in the data.

The data has to be continuous when being transfered and any interrupt or minor glitch can cause the data being burned to be corrupt!

Also due to the fact that CDROM activity of any kind is truly CPU intensive and two drives going at once can cause this as well!

That's why creating an image is the best way to do this as the data is only going through one step and not multiple.

HTH

dabmeister music Fri, 08/15/2003 - 07:45

I have a question for Opus. Does this apply to scsi to ide CD recording too? I have a scsi CD/RW which is off of an Adaptec U160 card. Now I'm not going to lie , I use to make a few coasters in my day , but now that I've done a OS upgrade , this isn't an issue anymore. I use Sonic Foundrys CD architec as well as NTI CD maker 2000plus for my CD burning. This PC is dedicated to audio recording only.

Opus2000 Fri, 08/15/2003 - 16:22

Regardless of what hard drives you have you always stand a chance of making a coaster with disc to disc operations. It's just the nature of the beast!

You may do it ok but there may be errors that lay dormant in the data or the audio.

I never take the chance in doing a disc to disc..well in fact, I don't even use two CD Optical drives in my system nowadays. Waste of IDE or resource space IMHO!