Skip to main content

I only record one guy- he sounds like static-x singer Wayne Static- go listen at http://www.myspace.com/aliveatmyfuneral . Listen to Lord of Worms and Flies. I know that these vocals can sound better- They were recorded through an Audio-Technica AT4040, using a PreSonus TubePre preamp, straight in to the computer. I have $3,000, and I want to spend it ALL on improving this vocal track. What do I need? New Preamp? Better Mic? Better effects? Singing Lessons? (I used that joke first, now you can't). Please Help Me!- BTW, I record in a room with complete acoustical dampening.

Thanks!

Comments

Davedog Fri, 08/17/2007 - 12:35

Oh....please stop.....you're hurting my widdle feelings....

BWWWAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!

How are you ever going to make it as a tyranical hate and death spewing monster if you cant take even a little critique?

Its pretty easy to have a fit over the mindless, emotionless, safety of the innernet ,aint it... say what you want to whoever....have no conscious thought....rage in what might seem to be unbearably graphic terms, go the next step and critisize someones personal life with no firsthand knowledge of them ......easy.....cowards do it all the time.

Thats okay, I've seen it all......this is nothing new......

the big problem we have with you is the language....Kids read this...you know....kids...little folks wanting to get into this business. They read spum like you throw around and its not what I would like to call appropriate.

Adults will have dissention and disagreements but are able to do so without all the extra offcolor use of the English language. So while your complaints about not getting the attention you desire would fall under the catagory of a deprived childhood, the language is something that cant be allowed on this very public and very international site.

As far as when.....wait for it.......

anonymous Fri, 08/17/2007 - 13:57

AliveatmyFuneral wrote: People are on here to share / receive technical info about recording, not give their own personal opinions about different styles of music- nobody cares about your personal opinion, it's nothing more than a disruption.

aliveatmyfuneral, do recall saying this:

This song has got to be one of the worst I have ever heard- how GAY!! I could totally see a bunch of of totally gay men in pink dresses dancing around, holding eachother's you know whats, listening to this.

pr0gr4m Fri, 08/17/2007 - 15:17

AliveatmyFuneral wrote: Go fuck yourselves- that's for everyone here.

I couldn't care less about all the previous statements made by this guy. But because of this one line, I can't wait until this guy doesn't sell any songs or records and never learns how to sing or record and never finds anyone special who likes his music and serves me my Quarter Pounder with Cheese...with a smile!

anonymous Fri, 08/17/2007 - 17:00

My name now is AliveatmyFuneral1- when you block this account, I'll call it AliveatmyFuneral2, when you block that account, I'll call it AliveatmyFuneral3- If you can count higher than this, you may be able to figure out what the one after that will be- no cheating now!! No google searches!! Dave, you dildo!!

anonymous Fri, 08/17/2007 - 17:03

therecordingart wrote: [quote=AliveatmyFuneral]I know, it is kind of embarrasing.

It must be. You promoted using the companies product in a different thread you posted in. It really sucks being able to get any gear I want at cost!

I'm so ashamed.

You should be ashamed about lying. Just like anyone else in here, you are lying about who you are / what you do. Hey- I was gonna record a trombone through a dixie cup- sound like a good idea? Yeah, I bet to YOU it does.. HA!

audiokid Fri, 08/17/2007 - 19:25

AliveatmyFuneral1 wrote: My name now is AliveatmyFuneral1- when you block this account, I'll call it AliveatmyFuneral2, when you block that account, I'll call it AliveatmyFuneral3- If you can count higher than this, you may be able to figure out what the one after that will be- no cheating now!! No google searches!! Dave, you dildo!!

who is this df... Comcast Cable Communications should be notified about this user. You all have my blessing to delete this moron.

anonymous Fri, 08/17/2007 - 21:05

Tell me, why did I stand up for you?

You got good advice and then you trashed the people who gave it to you! One guy offered to help mix it and you basically told him to screw himself. Great. Real appreciative. I don't care what your musical style is, if this is your attitude then you aren't welcome here.

ouzo77 Sat, 08/18/2007 - 01:49

Now this is a guy with way too much time!!! If he's such a great musician as he claims, he should be out there playing gigs, recording songs or screwing chicks, or something a rock star like him does.
But no, he's writing stupid posts like a little upset child, laughing his ass off in mommy's basement.
Please ban Aloneatmyfuneral... wait, that's Assaultatmytestical... no, Adickwithnotestical... Awakeatbedtime...
you know who i mean!

PS. Davedog, I think you've got a new admirer. He can't think of anything else than your dick. He really seems to like you!

DrGonz Sat, 08/18/2007 - 02:17

lol

lol this is so hilariously stupid !!!! HAHA HA We are all dumber for reading this garbage huh? Charles Barkley had a great quote yrs ago to kids.... he said "Kids stay in school, cuz there are already too many stupid ppl in the world" and he forgot to say how rude some of them were.... Well sorry this guy is a total moron ok I am over it back to researching.... lol

AKR Sun, 08/19/2007 - 20:08

RemyRAD wrote: AliveatmyFuneral, just what exactly do you mean make this talent free croaking and throat cancer wannabe "better"?? You don't sing. You have nothing to say. You have no talent and so there is nothing to improve upon. It's perfect just the way it is, AWFUL. Which is the way I think you want this er um music to sound? You wouldn't want it to sound good because then it wouldn't be AWFUL, which I think is the desired result. When it comes to um er (cough) music (using the term lightly, very lightly) this ain't music. It's the recording of an angry nuclear reactor meltdown with sprinkles of molten lava, ready to barf. And what is the purpose of this kind of " entertainment"? Trying to cough up your vocal cords makes understanding the lyrics so much more difficult. It doesn't matter how much better you make it sound, nobody will ever comprehend your Marine Corps drill sergeant delivery. Think about it. Your question is really quite idiotic. To make something this awful sound good? Take some music lessons.

Have you actually considered studying music to find out exactly how beautiful it can be?

Beautiful recording engineer, engineering beautiful recordings
Ms. Remy Ann David

what, that's pretty narrow minded and immature. you sound like my college photography teacher who didn't consider anything art unless she approved of it. she lost all credibility in my eyes, and several of us quit the class.

RemyRAD Sun, 08/19/2007 - 23:08

AKR, credibility comes with performance. I perform. I deliver. People like my work because I'm the best (you have to have some ego if you're good). It's by a skilled competent professional. People who perform nonmusical angry brutal manufactured noise by comparison to people who have studied their art and practice their craft to a universally credible level of professionalism are respectable artists/musicians, in my book and many others. Joe Blow with his $1500 looper box screaming into a microphone with his Christmas delivered Stratochrister guitar just ain't my cup of tea.

Of course music and art is not only very personal its 100% subjective. It's good that you enjoy that other type of entertainment. I hope that Recording.org and the rest of us professionals here who freely share our experiences, observations, techniques will help enable you to make the best sounding loud angry brutal nonmusical entertainment for those who appreciate that. Just because I don't think it's music and your photography professor didn't think much of something artistically shouldn't make you lose your respect for them. That's not what a professional artist does. How do you express what is your feeling of somebody's credibility? Is it based on your 40 plus years of constant high level employment in the broadcast and recording arts fields? What has their perceptions got to do with their level of knowledge, experience and subjective desires? Why should that affect you? You have your opinions (along with that other body part we all have) and you know as a "technical artist" that everybody here perceives these things differently from you. If there's a certain kind of music I don't like? I don't patronize them (notice I did not use the word artists which is frequently misused) by purchasing their records. It's a little like politics. Just because you like it doesn't mean other people do. Just because I don't like it due to its lack of musical integrity negates the fact that it may have made money. Which I guess is the whole idea behind making recordings? Right?

Most of the professionals, like myself, on this forum, have some kind of professional standards of integrity. We're all in business to make money and we all need to pay the bills but contrary to popular belief, we are not all audio prostitutes. Many of us have our specialties. For instance, I don't do loops. I don't do beats. I don't do samples. I don't take just any bookings. In fact I have considered changing my booking procedures that require either a demo or audition, along with the required 50% deposit before I accept a booking. I generally only required a 50% deposit for bookings in the past. I'm not interested in working with beginners or trash any more. Been there. Done that. I'm a professional with many years and numerous major award nominations and I don't need to take those kinds of jobs. Sorry. For that, I can recommend many talented young adults who have lovely little basement Project Studios and have learned their craft well (probably from myself and the other professionals here). If they want to record that kind of stuff (notice I kindly said stuff) that's wonderful! They're in business and they are happily making their money back on their investment.

Think I have a sharp tongue? You ain't heard nothing yet son. Book a session with me and you better be up to the task. Can you deliver? I'm accepting auditions now for booking my third generation control room, digital upgrade and fully restored 36 input all discrete Neve based mobile production facility in my 31 foot long, 25,000 pound all vintage processor stuffed, ProTools equipped, Mercedes-Benz 1117 truck. I'm not joking. This is the real deal. I'm the real deal. Do you want to become the real deal? Better learn what the real deal really means.

As real as a Hard Attack!
Ms. Remy Ann David

cathode_ray Mon, 08/20/2007 - 08:40

Some years ago some creative marketing genius realized he could sell outrage as a substitute for talent. Part of artistic development is learing the difference between the two.
And art may be subjective, but misic is not - can the perpetrator play or not. (see point 1 if undecided).

Hey kids! You're playing his game now - he wins.

pr0gr4m Mon, 08/20/2007 - 13:28

When I first read Remy's initial response I thought it was a bit harsh and maybe uncalled for. Little did I know that she immediately saw this person for who he was way before any of us did. She knew from the get go that this guy was a jerk and treated him exactly as he deserved. It was like a pre-emptive strike. Knocking the enemy out before he had a change to attck. Alas, he was able to recover and launch a counter attack but by then it was too late. He was finished.

Kudos to you Remy and your intuition.

RemyRAD Mon, 08/20/2007 - 15:28

Thanks pr0gr4m . It's that beautiful rush of youthful testosterone I think? I think their handles should all be " mischiefRus " since they are. But, maybe they are still learning something good here? One can only hope?

Taking auditions for studio bookings from worthy young adults.
Ms. Remy Ann David

DRDLKS Mon, 08/20/2007 - 16:53

Hey Alive,

First let me say I am new to these forums however I am a METAL kinda guy =)

You didnt get any positive feedback to work worth. What you did get was a mouth full of OPINION from someone who simply hates Rock/Metal and doesnt understand how to record such a band or VOICE.

Is he the greatest singer ever? NO but he is a good metal singer.

From the MIX it sound as if you were showcasing the guitars more. Was this intended? The mix seems to reflect that.

It also sounds like you were going for a SUPER CLEAN track and not going for a LARGE sound. His voice has a higher pitch to it and makes it sound Tweaky ( if that makes any sence )

It sounds as if you didnt double his track outside of overlays from one fraze to the next. You also panned hard R and L guitars leaving the vocals trapped in the center of all that sound

So for my ears I would drop the guitars down and double him up. Add in some small delays to thicken it all up too. Try to get the vocals out of that PIT you have him in and bring him up.

I too use the Pre Sonus mic pre. I would get a new MIC for sure. Also try gettng a board and a few racks. I would get a nice Compressor if anything. Doesnt have to be huge just something that will work for a screamer. A mic like this would work too.

(Dead Link Removed)

Going direct to the computer out of the Pre Sonus may not be your best way of doing things.

Look this is METAL not Josh Groban. Dirty is a good thing with our music. =) We have a lot of noise in our music so dont worry about having a million dollar sound.

JoeH Mon, 08/20/2007 - 17:35

Wow.....is this thread still alive after all this? Whooooo hoooo!!!!

Remy, Dave, I love you guys. I gave that cretin the benefit of the doubt at first, but holeeeee cow, he sure showed his true colors and put on a little show for the grownups, eh?

I just want to say I've REALLY enjoyed reading this thread, every word of it, from all posters. What a rush, indeed!

You just can't buy this kind of entertainment, folks. :twisted:

Davedog Tue, 08/21/2007 - 17:27

DRDLKS wrote: Hey Alive,

First let me say I am new to these forums however I am a METAL kinda guy =)

You didnt get any positive feedback to work worth. What you did get was a mouth full of OPINION from someone who simply hates Rock/Metal and doesnt understand how to record such a band or VOICE.

Is he the greatest singer ever? NO but he is a good metal singer.

From the MIX it sound as if you were showcasing the guitars more. Was this intended? The mix seems to reflect that.

It also sounds like you were going for a SUPER CLEAN track and not going for a LARGE sound. His voice has a higher pitch to it and makes it sound Tweaky ( if that makes any sence )

It sounds as if you didnt double his track outside of overlays from one fraze to the next. You also panned hard R and L guitars leaving the vocals trapped in the center of all that sound

So for my ears I would drop the guitars down and double him up. Add in some small delays to thicken it all up too. Try to get the vocals out of that PIT you have him in and bring him up.

I too use the Pre Sonus mic pre. I would get a new MIC for sure. Also try gettng a board and a few racks. I would get a nice Compressor if anything. Doesnt have to be huge just something that will work for a screamer. A mic like this would work too.

(Dead Link Removed)

Going direct to the computer out of the Pre Sonus may not be your best way of doing things.

Look this is METAL not Josh Groban. Dirty is a good thing with our music. =) We have a lot of noise in our music so dont worry about having a million dollar sound.

I will respond to this........I dont "HATE" any kind of music. It would be kinda screwed up to 'Hate' something thats blessed my life....I "understand" almost all of it, and have recorded heavier crap than aamf's material. His stuff was actually kinda good but he sorta ruined that part of it....yas know?!

I dont particularly like egotistical knowitalls that come on these forums supposedly seeking help only to reveal themselves as asswipes looking to disrupt and cause havoc. And its my job to seek these pukes out and rank on em or remove em from our community. No matter how vile of corrupt they scream......

As for the information that was given in this thread, if you go back and carefully read what was given you'll find that you're simply repeating a lot of what was already said....its just that you dont seem to realize that he really didnt want advice he wanted to act up and cause crap.

Dealing with that has nothing to do with musical taste or direction. It seems that a lot of the metal( pick your style of metal...theres a million of em) heads are really really sensitive to something that may not really exist......just because someone doesnt listen to your genre doesnt mean they hate it or dont get it. And as far as being able to record it.....PLEASE!!This seems like some little chip that being carried around and dealt whenever it seems like the time.....

Theres a lot of realtime professional engineers, mixers, studio owners etc on these pages that will help even if they dont like the genre of music. After all, its the same process.....the same laws of physics prevail....Any number of people who visit regularly can record ANY style of music, certainly understand how to capture a voice, but could care less about someone bringing a bunch of badass attitude and thankless BS to the party.

Its got NOTHING to do with musical styles or choice of music.

Its got EVERYTHING to do with attitude.

anonymous Thu, 08/30/2007 - 20:53

Hobby:mixing songs into stories.

Look at the equalizer its not filled. The voice and the song needs spaciousness,effects...first try singing the same song with a back up voice to fill is voice to give it flavor(depth). Record maybe one voice a bit meaner and one bassier and add them together.Record them both seperately and play them both seperatly at the same time. Try getting 4 mics and getting an idea of what you can do with four speakers the gives spaciousness,and positioning of sounds. Find a more suitable place to record, it sounds static, not worked on enough in experimental ways. Not yet unique. Thus i love the guitar and i like is spirit. Me personnaly i would tone down on i ate everybody and i want you to know it scream... Ask yourself do you like screaming like that or your fans do...inquire on things, experiment with diversity. Recording is more than the talent that you do have. It also takes experimentation and technique witch is often called work. Very promising work if only he could escape the two instrument trap.