Skip to main content

Okay, I set up the ol' portable studio today, using a lot of equipment for the first time. It went well, except:

My Sebatron vmp 4000e would not send signal into the DigiDesign. I tried everything and it wouldn't work. I let it warm up for MORE than enough time...anyone else have a similar problem with it?

My Focusrite 428 has a filter on it...what do you recommend I use it on, drums wise? I'm running overheads, snare top and kick through it...how would ya'll use the filter in those circumstances?

Finally, on my AT 4033 overheads, I used the low cut and pad on the mic. Was this the right thing to do? What do you suggest?

Thanks for the input! Argh!

Comments

atlasproaudio Mon, 08/15/2005 - 00:21

MigrantRecords wrote:

My Focusrite 428 has a filter on it...what do you recommend I use it on, drums wise? I'm running overheads, snare top and kick through it...how would ya'll use the filter in those circumstances?

What frequency is the filter at (is it high pass or low pass...I'm assuming high pass, so it only effects the lows)? You could get away with filtering your overhead mics, but it might be a little risky to do anything in actual tracking with any of the drums, personally I'd wait until mix especially on kick and snare.

MigrantRecords wrote:
Finally, on my AT 4033 overheads, I used the low cut and pad on the mic. Was this the right thing to do? What do you suggest?

Thanks for the input! Argh!

I definitely would not use both the rolloff on the preamp and the on the mic. You don't necessarily need the pad, are you hearing audible distortion (as opposed to not hearing any when the pad is engaged and gain is set to identical or close levels so you can compare)? You don't necessarily need the pad, are you hearing audible distortion (as opposed to not hearing any when the pad is engaged and gain is set to identical or close levels so you can compare)? There are no rules, I'd use your ears hear to see whether you like the hotter input level to the preamp or not.