Skip to main content

Hi

What do you think is the best way for me to achieve this for the least additional $$$ outlay? I need to record a female speaking voice for an audio publication, via my PC. The result needs to be really pleasant to listen to for an hour or more, meaning warm, clear vocals with no annoying noises.

I see three options - which will get me the best results?

1. Sell the AKG Perception 100 mic that I already own because I don't have a pre-amp, and buy a USB mic instead. If so, which USB mics are inexpensive and will produce nice audio results? I've heard some negative things about the sound quality of UBS mics, which has me worried. Should I be?

Buy a USB adaptor so that I can use my AKG Perception 100 mic. e.g. Link removed Are these types of USB interfaces any good, or will they have the same issues as USB mics? e.g. I've heard that the 'Icicle' isn't great, but can't find test results for other brands.

3. Sell my AKG Perception 100 mic and buy something like the Samson G-Track instead: http://www.zzounds.com/item--SAMGM1U

Which option do you think will produce the nicest audio result for the least money, and with the fewest complications)?

Thanks!

Finley :)

Topic Tags

Comments

hueseph Wed, 06/24/2009 - 19:48

Keep the mic. Get the xlr to usb adapter for now but save for a decent dynamic mic and a reasonable interface. You may not even need the interface if all you're doing is podcasting. The Samson usb mic is not worth the expense. The mic you have is probably way better. That being said it's still a cheap condenser. A good quality dynamic can sound a lot better with less background noise. An SM58 or a PG 58 for that matter will probably give you better results with a decent interface.

hueseph Thu, 06/25/2009 - 13:51

Honestly, I don't think the AT2020 is any better of a mic. I doubt that would be in any way an "upgrade". In fact the capsule on the Perception is genuinely a large diaphragm. The AT2020 is a medium diaphragm 3/4". Not that that has any bearing on how good the mic is. I just don't think it would be considered an upgrade. The extra $50 could be spent on a USB adapter.

No manner of USB adapter is going to make a hair of difference to the quality of the recording afiac. Getting the most expensive one will only soak the buyer for more money.

anonymous Fri, 06/26/2009 - 09:00

Samson C01U mic

I just wanted to comment on the guy with the AKG mic
I've been a musician and studio owner for over 35 yrs, and have owned many pro mics, including the $900+ AKG 414 that we used a lot for vocals and voice overs.
I think the Samson C01U and G-Track are pretty decent sounding mics. They have large diaphrams and have a condenser sound. I use both to record on-location radio shows, as well as voice overs for audio tours, in which you have to listen to someone's voice for 30 min to 1 hr or more, and they give a very pleasant sound.
The Shure SM58 is a great live rock vocal mic, and sounds good on
electric guitar amps and drums, but doesn't sound very good on a voice overs. It just doesn't have the high or low end and has too much mid-range. It is good if you're looking certain sound on a studio rock vocal.
I haven't heard the AKG you have now, so I can't comment. AT makes good sounding mics too, so I imagine their USB mic is pretty good.
Just don't put down the Samson mics...they are amazingly good for the price, and are easy to use. The G-Track even has a headphone output and mixer built right in..really cool.

anonymous Fri, 07/03/2009 - 20:31

I've a fourth option:

Buy an ART Studio MP Mic Preamp (the older model, not the V3) to power up and warm up my AKG Perception. Will that plug into a USB socket on my computer, and Bob's my uncle, or will I need additional cables/adaptors/widgets?

(Sorry, probably dumb questions, but I'm totally new to this!)

Many thanks :)