Skip to main content

Can someone tell what the big deal is about the KM84 vs KM814? Why do the 84's sell for so much more money? Is it due to supply and demand since the 84s are no longer made or is there really that big of quality difference between the newer and older versions?

I appreciate any/all comments from those who have done the a/b with both models...

Thanks!
RobA

Comments

Cucco Mon, 01/02/2006 - 08:02

FifthCircle wrote: No comparison in quality- I'd rather have a KM84 any day. Nowhere near as hyped sounding- we're talking old, classic Neumann vs. new Neumann.

--Ben

Here here!

The old 84s are a no nonsense, warm, full and truthful microphone - useful on countless applications. The 184 is bright, edgy and IMO, falls into the same category as many of the $200-$400 condenser mics on the market, but because it has the Neumann badge, it sells for much more.

I personally prefer the AT4041 to the 184 anyday. (And it's $600 cheaper).

J.

JoeH Tue, 01/03/2006 - 16:24

I have a pair of KMi-84's, (older Neumann vintage) and they are simply wonderful. They were already old when I got them in the 80's, and I don't know their vintage/year. (One of these days I have to check the serial numbers on them.)

I have a/b'd them many times against other microphones, and they almost always come out the winner. They're as good on solo violin as they are voice or acoustic guitar. On string quartets (Either ORTF or X-Y) they are quite amazing as well.

I don't have any of the newer version (KM184) so I can't help there, only to say I've heard very little good about them, at least compared to other mics in the same class. (SDC mics over-$500 USD).

If you can get your hands on the original mic, go for it. If you've already got a pair, don't let 'em go for love or money.