Skip to main content

Hi all,
I'm about to start recording a new dance project with 2 female vocalists. I owe only one mike which is Audio-Technica 4033a. I am thinking about getting RODE NTK as I heard it's great for vocals. Would this mike work for female vocal? Would it be better than 4033a? Any thoughts?

tnx,

chris

P.S. If you can recommend any other mic it would be really great! BTW. I will be using it with Avalon 737sp preamp going to RME ADI-8 DS. tnx.

Comments

Warhead Tue, 01/21/2003 - 17:44

Shure KSM32 for female vocals. The 4033 is an excellent mic for guitar cabs, but I have yet to find a singer it sounds good on. I have only tried on male vocals. There's some mid bump action going on that makes voices sound "honky" as I've heard it described.

I have heard the NTK on male vocals, sounded awesome and made me want to run out and buy one. Would probably be decent on female vocals...?

My KSM32 smokes on the ladies...click on my IUMA PAGE link in my signature and check out Jenn's Clip. That's my sister in law singing into my KSM32.

Warren

anonymous Tue, 01/21/2003 - 21:22

Chris,
I have a 4033, which isn't bad, but I've also been looking into a NTK. Everyone I've talked to about this agrees the NTK is a much better choice, with either male or female in mind. Also, you might want to look into a tlm103. I picked up one of those recently and it sounds excellent on vox. I think it might be more of an all around mic then the NTK, but it sounds really good on vox nonetheless. Good luck...

3dchris Wed, 01/22/2003 - 09:37

Thank you very, very much guys. I made my decission. I'm getting NTK. Warhead, my friend has that shure mike and i used it on one session but the vocalist was male and honestly this mike didn't sound even remotely as good as AT4033a. Maybe for female vocal it is good. I'll check it out. AT4033a is a good overall mic but I don't like female vocal recorded with it too much.
I also heard that NTK is not too good to record accoustic instruments so I will keep my 4033a under my bed :)

tnx again!

anonymous Wed, 01/22/2003 - 10:34

Originally posted by gerax:
Hi

Sorry if I'll stray a little off topic, but those of you with an NTK, have you tried it on other sources, like stringed instruments (guitars, cellos double bass, and the likes)? I'm looking for a mic that I can use when I need "that" lead guitar, or "that" lead instrument's sound.

Thanx for your reply

L.G.

It´s supposed to be a great cello mic. Brings out a really nice sheen to lead vocals, and most anything going through it. It´s really quiet too. I´ve only tried it on flute, nylon stringed guitar and vocals though. Had it in my home studio for a week. It´s similar to the NT1000s I have and the work with a lot of stuff. Great low end.

Mats