Skip to main content

Let's see what we can come up with. I already have mics, monitors, and instruments. drums, keyboards, etc. My computer is already in place (2.4 P4 dual drives...etc.). Looking at running Nuendo 2. Played with it and really liked the features. I am not totally against replacing, but it would have to compare.
I posted earlier about upgrading, but have since realized that if I am going to have something that I can really be satified with, I am going to have to make an investment.
I would like to hear your comments about what you would build from the ground up. (Mixer, soundcard, AD/DA, preamps, etc. .
Would you go with a true mixer or a controller. I know 20,000 would only scratch the surface with some of you guys, but just see what you can do for me. I want to focus on quality more so than quantity. I originally stated that I needed 16 analog ins, but I am willing to go with 12. This would give me full drum mics with bass and vocal if needed.

Let the CREATION begin

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Tue, 07/20/2004 - 07:07

With 20- 25 grand, lets see...

1-Dangerous Music 2-bus Summing
2-Dangerous Music 8 channel mixer

4 channels of API Pre's
4 channels of vintage Neve Pre's or Clones.

1 or 2 channels of really good Compressor, lets Say Chandler
(EMI) model

IZ Corp Radar 24 with Classic converters.

Waves Plugins to handle reverb, delay, eq and Compression

anonymous Tue, 07/20/2004 - 08:00

1. SSL Xlogic channel
2. Focusrite ISA 430 mk II
3. Avalon 737 vt
4. 4 to 8 Amek 9098 eqs
5. Universal Audio 1176 Commpressor Limiter
6. Pair of Universal Audio LA2A
7. Empirial labs Distressor
8. Summit Audio Valve Eq
9. TC system 6000 or 4000 as main reverb
10. Lexicon PCM 91or 81
11. Genelec monitors
12. Neumann M 149, U87 microphones
13. Soundelux vintage re-issue (like E 47) or Brauner microphone valvet
14. Apogee 8 channel ADs
15. Apogee 24 channel DAs
16. Analog 24 track console (i Like Akek MOZART or Otari STATUS)
17. Universal audio UAD-1 & TC powercore Plugins.
:D

sheet Tue, 07/20/2004 - 09:13

SAWStudio on a pimped out PC
Mackie Onyx 1604 (good general purpose preamps/monitoring)
Focusrite Liquid Channel (gives 30+ vintage pres, comps, eqs EA)
Audix Elite (drum/instrument mic kit)
Audix i5 (instrument/amp mic-sounds much better than 57)
AEA 84 (ribbon mic)
Lawson L47 with 251 head (vocal mic)
Mackie HR824 monitors

anonymous Tue, 07/20/2004 - 09:54

- Equi=tech 1.5 Rack Balanced Power
- Apogee AD16X
- Apogee DA16X
- Benchmark DAC1
- MOTU 896 HD and DP4.1
- 2 Chandler TG Channel
- 2 API 7600 Channel Strip
- 2 Vintech X81
- 1 Earthworks 1022 (2 channel preamp)
- Universal Audio LA2A
- Chandler TG1 Compressor
- Manley Massive Passive
- Empirical Labs Distressor
- Neumann M149
- Earthworks QTC1 matched pair
- Folcrom RMS216 passive summing bus
- Apple 2.5 GHz G5 and 30 inch monitor

Wouldn't this be nice? I just own a computer and a couple of things, but I thought I'd post my wish list....

:wink:

maintiger Tue, 07/20/2004 - 10:59

$25000 is almost enough, though we will have to compromise a bit if we want at least a 16 trk studio... more like 30 K minimum...

Apple 2.5 G5
Dual monitors, at least 17", preferably more
Digital performer 2.5
Apogee AD 16 X with firewire card option
genelec monitors

mics:
2 soundelux u99's
2 microtech gefeels m930's
2 Neumann km184's
assorted Sm 57's to round out drum kit)
(for kick I'll just keep my d112)

preamps, 16 ch:
(this is where it get tricky and we will definitely overshot our budget)

2 ch chandler tg channel ($3800)
2 ch chandler tg2 ($3200)
4 ch great river mp 2nv ($4300)
4 ch sebatron ($1750)
4 ch sytek ($850)

what a nice dream!

anonymous Tue, 07/20/2004 - 15:37

Maintiger..............
You hit more on what I am looking for. I am willing to go 12 ch. to start. I believe that would give me the startup power that I need. Maybe go with the:
4 ch great river mp 2nv ($4300)
4 ch sebatron ($1750)
4 ch sytek ($850)

I am happy with my mic setup, wouldn't mind adding the Neumann though. Got to have the dual monitors.

Apogee AD16x is a must

Nuendo 2 with great pc

What about the mixer......digital, analog, or controller????

Never used Apogee AD16x, how are all the different Preamps ran through the apogee. Sorry for this stupid question..........Thanks

maintiger Tue, 07/20/2004 - 16:10

I haven't seen the 16 x apogee but I suppose the preamps go into the apogee via xlr cannon and out and into the computer via firewire. my 2ch apogee rosetta has cannon ins for the pres and I send it into my 828 mkii via spdif. You can bypass that stage if you get the optional firewire card that allows you to go straight into your computer (sweet!)

your preamps of choice would be the ones I'd pick too, but since I already have the sytek I would add the chandler tg2 or the tg channel.

My program of choice is Digital performer and that forces me into a mac which runs 3K for the top model- you might be able to come under that with a pc and nuendo. I would go with a controller for now, such as makie control. (under 1K new, about 6-700 used). A mixer would make it imperative for you to get the apogee DA and there goes another 3K!
You should be able to come in well under 20 K if you do 12 channels instead of 16 and you already have most of the mics you need. 2 soundelux U99's would be real sweet but here we are talking another 5K... I hear some real good things from the microtech gefell m930's, though, and they are about 1 K ea- great on vocals, guitars, overheads- what can I say!

sdevino Tue, 07/20/2004 - 18:35

If you're going to add a Neumann mic go find a great M149 or something. The U87 and the KM184 are not my fasvorite mics. I think they were fine for tape where you had to anticipate the loss of highend during mix and overdubs, but on digital they sound like scratching fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Monitors Monitors Monitors!!!!

2 Earthworks Sigma 6.2 for midfields, run by a pair of Bryston 4B amps.

Then buy a couple fo Cranesong Trakkers.

Have fun!

anonymous Wed, 07/21/2004 - 14:09

sdevino wrote: If you're going to add a Neumann mic go find a great M149 or something. The U87 and the KM184 are not my fasvorite mics. I think they were fine for tape where you had to anticipate the loss of highend during mix and overdubs, but on digital they sound like scratching fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Monitors Monitors Monitors!!!!

2 Earthworks Sigma 6.2 for midfields, run by a pair of Bryston 4B amps.

Then buy a couple fo Cranesong Trakkers.

Have fun!

Yeah..but for the price you can find a better mic than the 149.

anonymous Wed, 07/21/2004 - 15:18

Comparing a controller with a real mixer, What would be the better step in the long run. If there is a big difference which would you prefer analog or digital. I had looked at a couple of the Sony's. I don't have my mags in front of me, but it was referred to as the Baby Oxford.

I am tired of having to upgrade every couple of years. i know that that is how things go in the business (electronics). But I want something the will grow around me, not out from under me.