Skip to main content

There seems to be so many types of AKG 414s out there. Can anyone explain the different versions, what makes them different, and what is best?
THANKS.

Topic Tags

Comments

stickers Thu, 02/17/2005 - 12:09

I think there are 2 models out there you can buy new. One is the ordinary 414 that is used for several applications and then there's the other one that is better suited for vocals. I think it has a different capsule. I think from a C12, not sure. I am just going on memory though and I have poor memory.

anonymous Thu, 02/17/2005 - 14:29

AKG 414 B-XLS and the 414 B-XLS II. Both are new and more affordable than vintage 414 ULS which you can get used. The ULS seems to be the preferred mic of the bunch, Ive never had the chance to try it out. They both have 5 polar patterns, filters and pads. The XLS II has a peak at 5Khz and is marketed as more of a vocal mic. The other is more overall with a flatter response and could be a nice all-purpose mic if your're short on budget. Iv'e heard good things from these models, they're about 800$ and 900$.

Juan

p.s. There is a pdf file around here that I think Cucco posted, it has information on the new versions and some history on the 414's.

TeddyG Thu, 02/17/2005 - 19:40

The former C414B ULS, is the more commonly used - period. It is the "flat" response, multi-pattern model, used worldwide for many years on everything one can think of. There is no more widely-used, more versatile condenser mic. Yes, it sounds - wonderful. Also period.

The TLS model has a "boost" in the upper range, said to be better for - indeed, designed for, vocals - though that would be a personal opinion, after hearing how it sounds on any particular vocal... There is dispute(On this forum, by Fletcher, who is, at least, one among us likely to have actually heard them all.), as to whether this mic or any current AKG model actually has "the" C12 capsule or whether it OR the C12 VR, sounds anything like a C12 at all? One would have to hear them all. Fletcher says ...no...

The new AKG 414 models are said, in reviews I've read, to be identical in sound quality with updated features. Again, whether YOU would consider the new features, updated or not, to be of value is up to you. The new models are less expensive than the former.

Having used it(And not.), with many 414's over many years, I can highly recommend the AKG "spider shockmount", for said mics, if there is the slightest doubt about "sound transmission" of the floors upon which the mic stand will reside... It's costly, but worth it AND one new "feature" of the new models is said to be the plastic mic mount, which is said to be... well, plastic... Having the spider mount(Which "appears" the same as always) may make structural integrity questions here, moot...

Teddy G.

Guest Fri, 02/18/2005 - 07:24

The original C 412 and C 414's were two of the best... they were followed by the C 414-EB, which still had an original CK-12 capsule.

Many 412's, 414's and 414-EB's had their orginal CK-12 capsules removed by AKG if the mic's were sent in for repair in the 80's and a good part of the 90's but many still retain their orignal capsules.

These microphones were generally characterized by a silver [nickel] finish to the body of the microphone, on the current models this body finish is now black.

The black finish came with the C 414-EB p48, the mic that introduced the "teflon" ringed capsule [also called a CK-12 from what I understand... but sounds nothing like an original CK-12].

There have been a myriad of versions subsequent to the C 414-EB p48, some better than others, but none as good as a good condition 412 414 nor 414-EB

x

User login